We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Got an iphone, do I need an iphone sim?

MrsE_2
MrsE_2 Posts: 24,161 Forumite
10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
Help, got an iphone 3g, do I need an iphone sim?

I have an O2 simplicity sim only deal for £15 pm (600 free mins, free O2 calls).

If I change to an iphone O2 simplicity sim only deal it will be £15pm & I will only get 300 free mins & no free O2 calls (or £20 per month for 600, but still no free O2 calls).

Last month I used nearly 600 minutes, but only 5 of them were not to an O2 mobile (my DH).

If I use the internet or apps I will pay (heavily?) if I stay on my regular deal, but if I do it at home via my router its free?

Any advice?
«1

Comments

  • Just ring O2 and ask them to attach a data bundle to your present tariff (it's a fiver, I think). As it's not an iPhone 4 you don't need a special (micro) sim.
    If I've helped you please show your appreciation by using the "Thanks" button
    > :T
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    1stly get this silly idea of FREE out of your head, they are inclusive not free! (nothing is free)
    You won't need a special sim card for the 3gs, simplicity do an iphone tariff which includes wi-fi, however 500mb data is plentiful as long as you don't have the push email function running on the handset.
    Also depending on which ISP you are with then you can use openzone for wi-fi if you don't fancy using gprs in certain areas.
    Anyways also consider the tesco mobile sim only offer at £10 for 600mins 500mb data and 3000 texts (I could say unlimited but for the FUP)
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,161 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 5 October 2010 at 1:35PM
    DUTR wrote: »
    1stly get this silly idea of FREE out of your head, they are inclusive not free! (nothing is free)
    You won't need a special sim card for the 3gs, simplicity do an iphone tariff which includes wi-fi, however 500mb data is plentiful as long as you don't have the push email function running on the handset.

    Do you mean the amount included with my present deal? - I don't think any is included in my present deal.
    I wasn't sure what 500mb was, how much it was.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,161 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I have the £15 one

    http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/simplicity/12_months

    Thats only calls & texts, isn't it?
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    MrsE wrote: »
    Do you mean the amount included with my present deal?
    I wasn't sure what 500mb was, how much it was.

    Yes, chances are you get 500mb with your current deal (may even be more depending when you started it, woops (if the bolt on you choose was free o2-o2 calls then you may not have a data allowance, :o
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,161 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    DUTR wrote: »
    Yes, chances are you get 500mb with your current deal (may even be more depending when you started it, woops (if the bolt on you choose was free o2-o2 calls then you may not have a data allowance, :o

    I have the free O2-O2
    I don't think I get an allowance.
    If I use it at home it uses my router & I don't pay - right?
    If I use it out & about I do - right?

    I used nearly 600 minutes last month, only 5 were not to other O2 numbers. Basically 99.9% of my calls are to two O2 mobiles (DH & DD).
    So I would need the 600 iphone tarrif £20
    Or stay on the £15 normal tarrif (unlimited O2) & pay if I ever use wi-fi
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    MrsE wrote: »
    I have the free O2-O2
    I don't think I get an allowance.
    If I use it at home it uses my router & I don't pay - right?
    If I use it out & about I do - right?

    I used nearly 600 minutes last month, only 5 were not to other O2 numbers. Basically 99.9% of my calls are to two O2 mobiles (DH & DD).
    So I would need the 600 iphone tarrif £20
    Or stay on the £15 normal tarrif (unlimited O2) & pay if I ever use wi-fi

    Yes the choice on allowances now are take it or leave it.
    The iphone (and oddly the other smartphone tariffs) are all £25 for 600 mins with data and wifi, the simplicity without wi-fi is £20.
    But yes using the facilities on your home router will not incur any further charges.
  • O2_Company_Representative
    O2_Company_Representative Posts: 88 Organisation Representative
    Hi MrsE

    You're right - if you use a Wi-Fi router for your home internet service, you can connect to this and you won't be charged by O2. When you're out and about, and accessing data over O2's network, you'll incur a cost if you don't have an inclusive data allowance as part of your tariff.

    This is one reason why we recommend that customers using an iPhone select one of our iPhone tariffs. These will also enable you to use all the features of your iPhone, such as Visual Voicemail and Call Merging.

    It might be worth having a look at the tariff pages of the O2 website or giving customer service a call to discuss your needs. If you then decide you'd prefer to stick with your current tariff, you may need to adjust some settings to access data and send/receive MMS:

    • Go in to the settings menu on my iPhone and select General > Network > Cellular Data Network.
    • Change the Cellular Data APN to mobile.o2.co.uk. Leave username and password as is.
    • Change the MMS APN to wap.o2.co.uk. You don't need to change any of the other MMS settings.
    • Reboot the device for settings to take effect.
    (Please note: The above change is for iPhone users on a non-iPhone tariff only. Customers on iPhone tariffs should keep the default settings.)

    Before you do this, however, it's really important that you're familiar with the cost of using data services.

    Whatever you decide, as Exhortation has kindly advised, you won't need a special SIM card iPhone 4 users need a micro sim, but with iPhone 3G the one you have should be fine. If in doubt, give customer service a call.

    Hope this helps
    Chris
    “Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of O2. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,161 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hope this helps
    Chris

    Thank you:beer:

    One more question:o

    Do I have to put my address book contacts on manually one-by-one:eek:
    My sim is in the iphone & I can't access them:(
  • If you still have your old phone and the contacts are on there you could use Google Sync to add your phone contacts to your Google Mail account. Once you've done that you can copy them back to your iPhone. If you don't have a Google (Gmail) account then there other ways of doing this.
    If I've helped you please show your appreciation by using the "Thanks" button
    > :T
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.