We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

o2 changed my tariff

2

Comments

  • Sarah90
    Sarah90 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    It was explained to me that because i was on the iphone tariff and received free internet (sorry don't know correct term) then i couldn't use the internet on the blackberry with that iphone tariff.

    I had to change to a 'blackberry tariff' if there is such a thing and then i would be able to receive all the internet services on the blackberry.

    Nope didn't have to pay for the sim.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    lucylucky wrote: »
    Not having a blackberry or an iphone I don't know what the difference is.
    Something to do with the "always on" nature of blackberry email?

    I doubt o2 would have charged for a replacement SIM, I have had a couple of replacements from them over the years at no cost.

    Now that makes sense, other than the iphone has this always on feature as well, since my colleague had discovered why his payg credit was reducing even though he was not using the phone.
    The other math seems to add up as 300mins *35p/min =£105 + the tariff would equate to the £142 the OP refers to :cool:
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    I know o2 do iphone tariffs, which are different to other smartphone tariffs, which are different to blackberry tariffs, so there may well be some difference.
  • Sarah90
    Sarah90 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    BlackBerry data and unlimited Wi-Fi - thats what it was
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    DUTR wrote: »
    Now that makes sense, other than the iphone has this always on feature as well, since my colleague had discovered why his payg credit was reducing even though he was not using the phone.
    The other math seems to add up as 300mins *35p/min =£105 + the tariff would equate to the £142 the OP refers to :cool:

    Many smartphones have the facility to have the email always on but this does eat into your data useage.

    I think blackberry email does not use up your "regular" data but is included in the monthly tariff, if that makes sense.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    lucylucky wrote: »
    Many smartphones have the facility to have the email always on but this does eat into your data useage.

    I think blackberry email does not use up your "regular" data but is included in the monthly tariff, if that makes sense.

    It sort of makes sense, but coming from a technical background as I do, data is data, unless of course there is a seperate portal, as there is o2 wap , o2 mobile web.
    Perhaps this is the backbone that BB messaging works on.
    But thatnks again for the explanation, as I could never fathom why they have different smarphone tariffs at different rates, and onbly seem to charge differently because they can get away with it. (Will be sticking to my simplicity tariff if that ever goes belly up, will go to tesco mobile :o)
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    I have never understood the basics of it myself, but perhaps a passing blackberry user will enlighten us.

    And having cancelled my o2 contract owing to their intransigence I am now paying less than half the amount I paid before for more minutes, texts and data.
  • MissKeith
    MissKeith Posts: 751 Forumite
    Okay, I'll attempt to explain this coming from my experience as someone who sells these tariffs.

    If you put an iphone sim card into a blackberry, the internet will work but the emails, standard browser and BBM won't work. You need to be on a specialised tariff to make use of the Blackberry services. I've never understood the whole iPhone data package because I'm using an iPhone sim in a Galaxy S currently and it works fine. The way it was originally explained to us, they told us that it was because there was no cap on iphone data but now caps have been put in place, I see no difference.

    As for the original issue, I'm sorry I can't help but I hope you sort it soon andthat's clarified a few things.
    Have I helped? Feel free to click the 'Thanks' button. I like to feel useful (and smug). ;)
  • Techhead_2
    Techhead_2 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    Its quite straightforward. Blackberry manage their data services and therefore you need a subscription to the Blackberry service in order to access email, messenger etc. This is normally in the form of a Blackberry bolt-on to your account. Or it may be included as part of a Blackberry tariff.
    Trying to use normal data just won't work.
    With the iPhone, providers have a special access point node. In non-technical terms they customise the service to give a better experience.
    Of course if you change tariff, there is no guarantee that you will be able to go back to exactly the original tariff, especiall if some time has passed and it is no longer offered.
    So I think the best the OP can do is hope for a goodwill gesture.
  • Sarah90
    Sarah90 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Just thought i would let you guys know, o2 called me last night and told me they are going to take £90 off my bill :) but my contract will remain 300mins. At least i know now though.

    Thanks everyone
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.