We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

o2 changed my tariff

Sarah90
Sarah90 Posts: 18 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Hi guys, im just after some advice.

I've had an o2 £35 600 mins iphone contract since august 2009, i lost my iphone and bought a blackberry and rung up to ask o2 to change my tariff type so that i could use the internet on the blackberry they guy at o2 did this and also left a note on my file to say that this had been actioned.

A few weeks later i found my iphone and rung o2 back to get them to switch me back to my original iphone contract, he said this was fine and that he had actioned it.

My bills are normally around the £40 mark, so you could imagine my surprise when this month i get an email to say that my bill was £142, now i knew that i had used my phone a bit more than normal but not that much. So i ring o2 and the guy tells me that i have just gone over my 300 minute allowance...hang on i was on a 600 min tariff.

I explain to the guy that this isn't the correct tariff, so he checks my notes and sees that there are no notes on my file to explain the change back to the iphone tariff. He also tells me that when i've changed back to the iphone contract the £35 a month tariff changed down to 300 minutes.

I was not told this when i rung to change it..so he transfers me to a manager and she says she is going to try and find the recorded call, but because it was longer than 6 months ago there is a huge chance that my call has been deleted. Shouldn't o2 keep calls for as long as the contract is running for? So basically i was not told that the tariff had changed and no notes were left on my file..i am so angry.

Now i don't know what is going to happen if the call has been deleted, i have no idea what my rights are at all..i'm a student and i really can't afford a £142 phone bill....can anyone give me any advice at all?? Who i can talk to or what to do??

Also thankyou to anyone who managed to read through that.


Thanks
Sarah
«13

Comments

  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,625 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    o2 normally write to me if I change my tariff, did you not get a confirmation letter ?
    Ex forum ambassador

    Long term forum member
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    You lose your phone , you find it, in the meantime you purchased another phone, requested a tariff change, then change your mind, plead poverty about being a student with a £142 bill as opposed to £40.
    I'm not sure which part we are supposed to sympathise with?
    A tariff change will only be effective from the next billing date and besides, the 2009 tariff will no longer be available to switch back to.
  • Sarah90
    Sarah90 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Im not looking for sympathy, just advice on if theres anything i could do.
    Yes it was effective from the billing date, but as i said in my post i used my phone more this month then in previous months, therefore taking me over the 300 minutes.

    So are you saying theres nothing i can do, even though i was not informed of the changes that were made to the tariff?

    Browntoa - nope i didn't receive anything stating changes to the tariff.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Sarah90 wrote: »
    Im not looking for sympathy, just advice on if theres anything i could do.
    Yes it was effective from the billing date, but as i said in my post i used my phone more this month then in previous months, therefore taking me over the 300 minutes.

    So are you saying theres nothing i can do, even though i was not informed of the changes that were made to the tariff?

    Browntoa - nope i didn't receive anything stating changes to the tariff.

    There is little you can do other than be more careful in the future, had you not mislaid your handset, none of this episode would have occured.
    The way some folk go on, the iphone is a block of gold bullion, so should not be mislaid or lost so easily. Tariffs have changed since 24th June 2010, I only learned that from visiting here, and would not expect customer services to explain to me anytime I had need to call them, as a customer we too have a responsibilty to be aware of the full terms and conditions :o
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    PS, in the original post you were on 600mins a month, by your 2nd post that has reduced to 300mins, which bit is correct? :o
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    edited 2 October 2010 at 10:14PM
    DUTR wrote: »
    PS, in the original post you were on 600mins a month, by your 2nd post that has reduced to 300mins, which bit is correct? :o


    As I read it - both.

    The original tariff was 600 minutes and the new tariff (allegedly the same one) was 300 minutes.

    I had my tariff changed by o2, not because I changed phone or lost one or asked for it but just by a random act on their part.

    It took me some months to sort out but I got my money back and was able to cancel my contract with them (which still had 18 months to run)

    One thing they did not at any stage manage to do however was apologise.

    Write/email them again explaining your sequence of events and ask them to explain theirs. Do everything by email/letter so that there is a copy.
  • Sarah90
    Sarah90 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    lucylucky wrote: »
    As I read it - both.

    The original tariff was 600 minutes and the new tariff (allegedly the same one) was 300 minutes.

    I had my tariff changed by o2, not because I changed phone or lost one or asked for it but just by a random act on their part.

    It took me some moths to sort out but I got my money back and was able to cancel my contract with them (which still had 18 months to run)

    One thing they did not at any stage manage to do however was apologise.

    Write/email them again explaining your sequence of events and ask them to explain theirs. Do everything by email/letter so that there is a copy.



    yeah thats correct, the reason i'm annoyed is because they have dropped the minutes in my contract, which lead to the huge bill.

    I'm currently waiting for the woman to call me back (should be monday). I was just worried what to do if she says they couldn't retrieve the call.

    Thankyou so much for the advice, i will write them a letter, just to back up what i've already said.
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    They do have an email contact on their website which is the one I used.

    When they called me to discuss anything I would immediately email them with a record of the conversation so that they would not be able to deny that they had any knowledge of things said.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    lucylucky wrote: »
    As I read it - both.

    The original tariff was 600 minutes and the new tariff (allegedly the same one) was 300 minutes.

    I had my tariff changed by o2, not because I changed phone or lost one or asked for it but just by a random act on their part.

    It took me some months to sort out but I got my money back and was able to cancel my contract with them (which still had 18 months to run)

    One thing they did not at any stage manage to do however was apologise.

    Write/email them again explaining your sequence of events and ask them to explain theirs. Do everything by email/letter so that there is a copy.

    Woops, my mistake :o It did say the minutes were reduced in the original post, hopefully you can explain to me though, what is unique about a blackberry tariff to any other smartphone tariff.
    I wonder if O2 charged for a replacement sim card?
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Not having a blackberry or an iphone I don't know what the difference is.
    Something to do with the "always on" nature of blackberry email?
    I doubt o2 would have charged for a replacement SIM, I have had a couple of replacements from them over the years at no cost.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.