What were best interest rates before recession?

Options
As I never looked into them before recession and only now and I seeing the painfully low rates, what sort of interest rates were around when times were good?

Comments

• Loughton_Monkey
    Options
    Mid 2007, just before the Northern Rock fiasco, you could generally get around 6% on an Internet savings account. Now it's in the order of 2.75%, but even then only including a limited-time 'bonus'.

I wouldn't necessarily call mid 2007 "When times were good". Actually, BOE base rates were around 5.75% then, against which 6% is not brilliant, compared with 2.75% (which is 2.25% above BOE Base rate).

History shows a continuing 'pendulum' effect of differences as between interest rates (official BOE rate and actual savers' rates) and Inflation. Some periods (like now) deliver savings rates far less than inflation. Other periods deliver massive 'real' growth in savings. But even then, each individual's view on whether or not that was 'good' will depend very largely upon whether he/she was a net borrower or net saver.

As an aside, I was looking at my old Endowment Life Assurance policies the other day - working out the equivalent of an "APR" on my premiums. I had 5 of them (with one company) over the 1972/1998 period, and another 2 (with another Insurance Company) over 1988/2009. The first 5 actually delivered over 11% annual compound growth over that period, and surprisingly, the other 2 produced between 9% and 10%. Tax free into the bargain. No other 'safe' investment I know of would have delivered anything like that.
  • xrjtg
    xrjtg Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    Kaupthing Edge was offering around 6.7% just before it collapsed (and some of the three year accounts still run with ING until next year).
  • KingL
    KingL Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    Options
    ahhhh, Icesave 7.01% :wistful:
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Seem to remember we were getting in excess of 6% for longer term bonds with Icesave. Was sorry to see that bank go under. It was so easy dealing with them. Wish I'd had an opportunity to invest in a 10 year bond with them. It could be a long, long time before we ever see those kinds of rates again.
  • fullstop
    fullstop Posts: 545 Forumite
    Options
    Just got in to The AA fixed one year bond paying 7.2% before it was pulled.
    "When the Government borrows, the citizen has to save".

Machiavellii
  • Sceptic001
    Sceptic001 Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting that most of those banks mentioned ended up going bust or being bailed out (AA comes under Bank of Scotland). My best rates in institutions which remained solvent were 6.3% instant access in Egg (although Citibank did teeter...) and 7% one year fixed in Nationwide.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,470 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I got 10% from B&B back in the day on a regular/Christmas saver type account - no doubt inflation made this seem far less impressive, but as a naive 19? year old it was heaven sent ;)
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    12% on a Halifax Regular Saver / 7.1% with Anglo Irish and (still running for existing customers) 2% + 5% (8.25% gross equivalent) taxback on a Charity Bank CITR account.

Seems a long time ago.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    The best one has to be Egg's 6.3% fixed rate for a year and instant access account. They were offering this after others were closing offers/rates were tumblings. Loads of us cashed in, the website was crashing in the last days before they pulled it. Opened one for myself & the Mrs, made thousands in interest on it last year. Happy times (except for someone at Egg who must have got sacked....);)
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    6.5 % four year fixed ISA, still on it :beer:
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure