MSE News: Npower to pay £70m in refunds after billing blunder

edited 1 October 2010 at 1:48AM in Energy
174 replies 21.4K views

Replies

• hgm wrote: »
    Adding to my last post it rather looks as if your comment in bold is a literal staement. It doesn't actually matter how many units were charged but only how many could have been charged. Presumably they are not looking at peoples' bills at all - only the dates.
    We’ve taken the maximum possible number of higher-priced units a customer could have been charged following the changes made in 2007. We’ve compared this with 4,572 units per year using 12 month periods that overlap the period 1 May to 31st October 2007 inclusive. The 12 month period relevant to each customer will end and/or start with the anniversary of the date on which that customer’s supply by us started. For some customers, there will be two relevant 12 month periods where the anniversary date falls in this May to October period. The payment amount is based on any higher-priced units in excess of 4,572 per year calculated. We calculated this by comparing on a daily basis the number of units charged at the higher price under the methods of allocation of those units both before and after the 2007 changes in the 12 month period(s). We then multiplied this by the prevailing difference between the price of the higher and lower priced units on each day.

O.K. So now they've amended their stated method of calculation and updated their web-site. Here:

http://www.npower.com/web/PaymentstoGasCustomers/index.htm

So get your heads round this one.
  • edited 23 November 2010 at 7:31PM
    sofa-spudsofa-spud Forumite
    82 Posts
    edited 23 November 2010 at 7:31PM
    O.K. So now they've amended their stated method of calculation and updated their web-site. Here:

Well, thats even less clear than the old oil that comes out of my cars engine then...:(

Having looked through my friends bills, it appears he has been overcharged for 1382 units for 07/08 at a cost to him of £64.92 +VAT & interest. Yet the letter from npower says he is entitled to £34.31 refund :think: dont think he will accept this...

As well as the above he was overcharged in 04/05 as well... and again in May 2010 similar to the way I was.

Methinks another battle is about to commence;)
  • edited 23 November 2010 at 11:00PM
    meggsymeggsy Forumite
    741 Posts
    edited 23 November 2010 at 11:00PM

Consumer Focus have updated their site as well but it links to the npower gobbledygook :eek:
    http://www.consumerfocus.org.uk/get-advice/energy/npower-gas-announcement
  • spiritspirit Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Had a letter from them yesterday. the refund relates to the house I moved from in April of this year. They say they owe me £41.00. Nice little surprise.

I had to go to their website and put a ref number in and confirm my details. I suppose it's because I've moved (even though I am with them at this house) that will get something from them to take to my local post office for cash refund.

I wonder how long it will take.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • Hi I just wanted to say thanks to MSE Martin for all the hard work you and your team do for us. We all know how hard you work and that you cannot cover everything yourselves and I am happy that you just make sure that it is being dealt with by the correct people sometimes, thank you:T
  • rateatbat wrote: »
    Hi I just wanted to say thanks to [STRIKE]MSE Martin[/STRIKE] DirectDebacle for all the hard work you [STRIKE]and your team[/STRIKE] do for us. We all know how hard you work and that you cannot cover everything yourselves and I am happy that you just make sure that it is being dealt with by the correct people sometimes, thank you:T

That's more like it...
  • 2latenow2latenow Forumite
    82 Posts
    Whilst it's nice to get a letter telling me I'll get back the money, I have to wonder why they're doing this in such an inflexibly 20th centuary way... I mean, sending you a letter to take the post office (with 2 forms of ID, of course) where you get cash??? Even HMRC these days make & take payments direct. If I was cynical (!) I'd think perhaps they feel this might put people off.

(and yes, not everyone has a bank account, but why not give a choice?)

Had to lauch at their description of accidentally overcharging for more than the max high units in the year. I have several letters from them explaining from early 2008 explaining that everything was find because a year was not a year etc,...
    /me
  • hgmhgm Forumite
    62 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    They are still using years to suit themselves. This time it's a "Billing Year" although I've never received a bill corresponding to that period. For the year in question, I received a bill which was 3 months either side of the Billing Date.
  • I received a letter from Npower this morning asking me to confirm my details so they can send me a letter with a refund of £67.98....
    Thank you, and Merry Christmas to you too !! :)
  • DoshwasterDoshwaster Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just had a letter from NPower today giving me a £37 refund. No idea how they calculated it but it's a nice little surprise considering I haven't been with them for two years.

Worth the trek to the Post Office.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Avro Energy and Green cease trading

What it means for your gas & electrity

MSE News

Energy mythbusting

What really makes a difference?

MSE Guides

Free £6 Amazon credit for some

When you add £50 to gift card balance

MSE Deals