Life after Maternity pay

Options

Comments

• Sam____2
    Options
    stsarina wrote: »
    That's changed from when I claimed in 2009 then, as that's the information I was given and had confirmed in numerous other places - yes it is taxable, but I was still told to declare the figure minus the £100 per week.

I was told exactly the same stsarina, to disregard the first £100 per week, maybe a not very knowledgable advisor is giving out the wrong information as I don't think it has changed since when I claimed in 2009
  • cazj80
    cazj80 Posts: 327 Forumite
    Options
    They do say to disregard the first £100 per week of SMP. I was on Maternity Allowance this year which is disregarded in full.
  • Murgatroyd21
    Options
    The first £100 of SMP is disregarded for a maximum of 39 weeks. Call back, you'll probably get a different advisor who will put your income details right for you.
  • smiley:_3-2
    Options
    Also dont think their was any need for the response from the first post! very rude!

Anyway I understand the position your in but as the above posts have said I dont think their is anything else you can claim whilst not working or actively looking.

I sold lots on ebay during the first year after my son was born and is amazing what you can find around the house to sell and make money actually my husband and son were very lucky I didnt sell them it got very addictive! lol! But I saved the money and we had a family holiday so thats an option. Sorry this doesnt completely help your sit!
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    clairec79 wrote: »
    I'm presuming she is claiming child benefit already? If not she needs to (and it be in her name) so that her NI is covered through the home responsibility

More information can be found here -> http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/TaxCreditsandChildBenefit/Childbenefits/Paymentsandentitlements/Benefitsforparents/DG_173609
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • AppleBlossom_2
    Options
    I'm on maternity leave and if I remember rightly from the meeting I had with my manager before I left you can't be made redundant whilst on Mat leave.. I could be wrong though but I would definitely look into it as there could be something you could claim if my thinking is right.
  • iamana1ias
    iamana1ias Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    Options
    I'm on maternity leave and if I remember rightly from the meeting I had with my manager before I left you can't be made redundant whilst on Mat leave.. I could be wrong though but I would definitely look into it as there could be something you could claim if my thinking is right.

You're completely wrong.
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
  • Nara
    Nara Posts: 533 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure how much you are earning, but make sure you are claiming Child benefit and child tax credits. You may also be able to get working families if you earn under a certain amount?

I don't blame your wife for wanting to be a full time mummy, I never could have gone back to work 6 months after the birth (guess its 9 months now!) due to my daughters illness, but had she been well i still don't think i could have trusted anyone other then my partner to look after her. I still feel uneasy now even though shes nearly 5 lol!
  • Duncombe
    Duncombe Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    Nara wrote: »
    I don't blame your wife for wanting to be a full time mummy,

Being a mother is still a full time job whether you are also employed or not.

It really irks me that people class looking after their children as a 'full time job'.

I don't stop being a mother when I go to work and start it up again when I get home.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    but it also 'irks' people that others want time off to be 'mummy' at other peoples expense!
    if you cant afforf to have kids then wait until you can.

it seems far too prevalent that people make choices and expect the taxpayer to back them up!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure