Life after Maternity pay

Options
Hoping there are some people out there able to help.

My wife was made redundant while on Maternity (all above board and agreed) and her SMPs end at the end of November. She has decided not to go back to find work yet until the little one is a bit older. What I'd like to know is whether or not there is anything that she can claim in during this period. Obviously JSA would not be available as she wouldn't be actively looking for a job.

We're not scroungers, in fact we've always worked our whole working life, but if there is something available then we'll take.

Anything advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• iamana1ias
    iamana1ias Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    Options
    Markie11 wrote: »
    Hoping there are some people out there able to help.

My wife was made redundant while on Maternity (all above board and agreed) and her SMPs end at the end of November. She has decided not to go back to find work yet until the little one is a bit older. What I'd like to know is whether or not there is anything that she can claim in during this period. Obviously JSA would not be available as she wouldn't be actively looking for a job.

We're not scroungers, in fact we've always worked our whole working life, but if there is something available then we'll take.

Anything advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

((sigh))

How about the financial provisions you made during the 9 months of pregnancy?
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
  • Markie11
    Options
    iamana1ias wrote: »
    ((sigh))

How about the financial provisions you made during the 9 months of pregnancy?

Thanks for your response. I thought I would expect some of this kind of response from a few people.

The fact is my wife and I did put away financials provisions during the pregnancy and yes this covers up until the end of January 2011. Though the fact remains that my wife was made redundant during her maternity (after the child was born). The original idea was that my wife would return to work, albeit part time, and able to assist financially towards the family income. As she is not returning to work and has now decided that she may continue to be a full time mum for a bit longer then we were only wondering if there was anything available to claim.

I don't see what your problem is. Not as though I've cheated the system and abused it from the age of 18. That is definitely not the case here.

I find your response quite .... well. let's just leave it.
  • iamana1ias
    iamana1ias Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    Options
    Markie11 wrote: »
    Thanks for your response. I thought I would expect some of this kind of response from a few people.

The fact is my wife and I did put away financials provisions during the pregnancy and yes this covers up until the end of January 2011. Though the fact remains that my wife was made redundant during her maternity (after the child was born). The original idea was that my wife would return to work, albeit part time, and able to assist financially towards the family income. As she is not returning to work and has now decided that she may continue to be a full time mum for a bit longer then we were only wondering if there was anything available to claim.

I don't see what your problem is. Not as though I've cheated the system and abused it from the age of 18. That is definitely not the case here.

I find your response quite .... well. let's just leave it.

I find your expectation that tax payers should "help you out" so that you can have the luxury of choosing for your wife to stay home rather than working part-time (as you'd planned) rather selfish. Presumably she got a redundancy pay off?

Perhaps the money you're squirrelling away for your daughter's teenage years would be better spent now?
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
  • Sam____2
    Options
    I don't think there is anything she can claim to be honest, she may have been able to claim JSA conts but looks like that's out as she won't be looking for work. Depending on your salary you could try for WTC/CTC but I think that's it.
    could she maybe get a wee part time evening job when your in to look after the baby, just a couple of 4 hour shifts a week could bring in a few extra pounds and your wife will probably be glad of getting back to work and the social aspect of it.
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    have a look on 'entitledto.com', if you put in your details it should be able to tell you, it would depend on your earnings.
  • Markie11
    Options
    Sam___ wrote: »
    I don't think there is anything she can claim to be honest, she may have been able to claim JSA conts but looks like that's out as she won't be looking for work. Depending on your salary you could try for WTC/CTC but I think that's it.
    could she maybe get a wee part time evening job when your in to look after the baby, just a couple of 4 hour shifts a week could bring in a few extra pounds and your wife will probably be glad of getting back to work and the social aspect of it.

Me look after the baby!!!! Only kidding!! Yes, that was something I was already thinking we would have to consider.

A friend of ours made a small fortune selling stuff on ebay, just Junk but apparantely junk sells. We'll see.

Thanks Sam.
  • stsarina
    Options
    Shame about some of the totally unhelpful replies - just wanted to point out, as I was surprised by this when claiming, that if you are eligible for tax credits, the first £100 per week of statutory maternity pay can be deducted from your earnings when working out what you are eligible to receive. As far as I know, there is nothing else she can claim whilst not actively seeking work.

HTH, Hannah
    Team Pink! Baby girl due 25/5/14
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    I'm presuming she is claiming child benefit already? If not she needs to (and it be in her name) so that her NI is covered through the home responsibility
  • Arcey80
    Options
    stsarina wrote: »
    just wanted to point out, as I was surprised by this when claiming, that if you are eligible for tax credits, the first £100 per week of statutory maternity pay can be deducted from your earnings when working out what you are eligible to receive.
    HTH, Hannah

Having just phoned up regarding the change in our income, as my partner will be on SMP for 33 weeks of this financial year, I was told that as SMP is taxable it must still be declared as income and added to the partners income as well.
  • stsarina
    Options
    That's changed from when I claimed in 2009 then, as that's the information I was given and had confirmed in numerous other places - yes it is taxable, but I was still told to declare the figure minus the £100 per week.
    Team Pink! Baby girl due 25/5/14
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport