New Cheapest Way to Call Mobiles 3p/min

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
31 replies 38.3K views
MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
8.3K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
UPDATE: This offer has now ended click here for the new cheapest way to call mobiles

IMPORTANT UPDATE 9 October

As predicted this offer was very shortlived, most likely to grab a share of the market and the price has now shot up to 20p/min. You can call mobiles for 4p/min, use the CallChecker to find the cheapest provider.

What's it all about?

New provider Cheap Chat is now listed on the UKCallChecker charging just 3p/min to call mobiles at any time from your home phone (the price is only certain from a BT line, it should be similar from other providers, but isn't definite).

This is massively cheaper than the likes of BT charges to call mobiles which can be up to 13p-26p/minute during the day.

How does it work?

You simply dial its access number 08445 991348 from your home phone, which is billed at 3p/minute to your normal phone number (and with your normal providers minimum charge).

This then connects you through to its network, where you then dial the mobile number you're calling without any further charge, or a need for an account.

CheapestChat gets a cut of the 3p from your normal phone provider and this is how it makes its money.

IMPORTANT MUST READ! How can it do it so cheaply?

There are a number of reasons why it's so cheap, and it's important to understand it - as if you have problems with this number - they'll probably be why.
  • It doesn't need an infrastructure. It's very likely it's actually routing your call through the internet. Also this is a no-frills service, it has no customer service and billing.

• This is likely to be a short term promotional price. Frankly I doubt this price will last long, but there's nothing stopping you using it for the meantime. When the price does increase, use the UKCallChecker to find the new cheapest (it's a free daily updated comparison service).

• You don't always get connected. This particular company hasn't so far proved to be that reliable. If you find you don't get connected often, scrap it and use the next cheapest, which is 4p a minute (details on the UKCallChecker)

These ultra cheap companies tend to underbuy capacity so that their lines are always used up - thus why you may not be able to be connected.

• It makes money as soon as you're connected. Remember you start paying the 3p/minute immediately, before you even dial the mobile number, and it will get this cash even if the mobile you're calling is engaged or not working - this helps to off-set the cost somewhat.

• It wants you to use it for other calls too. It also offers cheap calls internationally and for other UK numbers. Yet don't automatically use it - these companies work by having varying prices - i.e, as it's cheap for calling one country people assume it's cheap for calling others. That's not true. Use the free UKCallChecker and International CallChecker to find the actual cheapest.

Even with all the above this is still a cracking deal though, worth using while it works (and if not good, use the second cheapest at 4p/min)

Martin

threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• onzeyonzey Forumite
    830 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Does BT minimum call charge apply (is it 5p or 5.5p perhaps?) to 0844 numbers?

Thanks.
  • bbb_ukbbb_uk Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    onzey wrote:
    Does BT minimum call charge apply (is it 5p or 5.5p perhaps?) to 0844 numbers?

Thanks.
    BT dont have a minimum call charge anymore and have replaced it with a 3p connection fee (or setup fee as BT likes to call it).

This setup fee (connection charge) came into effect on 1st October and applies to all chargable calls.

Whole minute charging also came into effect as well (ie call charges are rounded up to the next minute so a 2sec call will be billed as 1min). Whole Minute Charghing, however, doesn't currently apply to 084x/087x numbers.
  • pjalapjala Forumite
    420 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Anyone figured out how to do international codes with the orchid dialer?
    You need to dial the oo44 code for the UK before the mobile number.
  • pjala wrote:
    Anyone figured out how to do international codes with the orchid dialer?
    You need to dial the oo44 code for the UK before the mobile number.

You dont have to dial the 0044 code to call uk mobile numbers with this service. 07xxx xxx xxx is fine.

Its best to send your 0844 calls via bt on your dialer.
  • codgercodger Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just wondered, how reliable are these providers where pricing is concerned?

It's clear that some, if not all, are franchises operated by people / companies which have paid between £5,000 and £20,000 to a telecoms company to run the service.

So do the same pricing standards apply here as with BT, where it certainly wouldn't be legal for BT to charge one price on one day then a different one on another.

I've used a few of these cheap-call providers and so far, the only way of telling what I've actually been charged is after the event, when I look at my BT bill. Be a bit annoying to make a lot of calls at what one thought was only 3p a minute to then find the rate had (for example) gone up, unannounced, to 10p a minute. . .
  • onzeyonzey Forumite
    830 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    codger

I think that as long as the access number stays 08445 (in the case of phoning UK mobiles) then the price is effectively controlled by BT. So unless you hear of BT changing the price for such numbers the price will remain the same.
  • codger wrote:
    Just wondered, how reliable are these providers where pricing is concerned?

It's clear that some, if not all, are franchises operated by people / companies which have paid between £5,000 and £20,000 to a telecoms company to run the service.

So do the same pricing standards apply here as with BT, where it certainly wouldn't be legal for BT to charge one price on one day then a different one on another.

I've used a few of these cheap-call providers and so far, the only way of telling what I've actually been charged is after the event, when I look at my BT bill. Be a bit annoying to make a lot of calls at what one thought was only 3p a minute to then find the rate had (for example) gone up, unannounced, to 10p a minute. . .

If you put your calls through BT it will cost 3p a minute to call the number,plus 3p connection fee.Its not possible for the provider to charge more for the call unless he changes the access number, you would obviously be aware of this,and the announcement would alter to the appropriate rate for the new number.

The provider is in the business of selling cheap call capacity. Prices often change. They can change their rates when they like,

My suspicion is that it is a loss leader,hoping your stay with them when access number is changed.;)
  • Check out

https://www.call18185.co.uk

This is a consistent low cost call provider that has saved me a ton of money.
    Easy to use; reliable service; clear on-line billing and CHEAP!
  • Good call quality cheap mobile calls big brucie bonus on calls to 0870 numbers at weekends are only 1p a minute so when dealing with compahies that keep you hanging on forever, your saving loads:T (you know the one I mean)
  • Thanks, great find. Until I get on board skype, deals like this will be just fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals