Comments

• DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    May just be done by now - SallyD only asked 5 months ago. 6751_rolleyes.gif

Cheers
    It might have dried too.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • umami
    umami Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello, just want to know whether I have done any thing wrong by not diluting the dulux emulsion when I naively painted the plaster wall and ceiling(they were plastered 2 weeks ago before I painted them)?
    Also would like to know how to start applying bathroom paint.
    Thank you for any advice in advance.
    First time i have ever attempted painting inside the house!
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    If the plaster is still damp and you've used emulsion with a lot of vinyl in it, it may bubble Best to wait and see..

Wickes Trade Paint for New Plaster..thoroughly recommend this and also as an undercoat for old walls because tho vinyl it's formulated to be breatheable.
  • davenottingham
    Options
    I've just had a hallway and kitchen ceilings plastered and have spent the last 3 days decorating the finished plaster.
    I am nearly done and was feeling pleased with myself.
    However, the area of ceiling above the stairs (only accessible with a pole and a roller) has started to blister. I prodded it more with a brush and it's peeling off like paper.
    Cue sinking feeling.
    To the plaster I applied:
    1 x mist coat Dulux Pure Brilliant white matt emulsion
    (on the tin it says- 'If new, bare,and absorbent surface, seal with water thinned 10%, or if very porous, use etc etc..)
    2 x coats of the same paint -undiluted.

So the question is- excuse my reading of this...do the instructions mean the mix should be 90% paint and 10% water (which is what I did) or vice versa. If the latter I have well and truly messed up and could expect everything to come peeling off soon.
  • ValHaller
    ValHaller Posts: 5,212 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just had a hallway and kitchen ceilings plastered and have spent the last 3 days decorating the finished plaster.
    I am nearly done and was feeling pleased with myself.
    However, the area of ceiling above the stairs (only accessible with a pole and a roller) has started to blister. I prodded it more with a brush and it's peeling off like paper.
    Cue sinking feeling.
    To the plaster I applied:
    1 x mist coat Dulux Pure Brilliant white matt emulsion
    (on the tin it says- 'If new, bare,and absorbent surface, seal with water thinned 10%, or if very porous, use etc etc..)
    2 x coats of the same paint -undiluted.

So the question is- excuse my reading of this...do the instructions mean the mix should be 90% paint and 10% water (which is what I did) or vice versa. If the latter I have well and truly messed up and could expect everything to come peeling off soon.
    Please start new threads for new problems - I have just wasted a few minutes on irrelevant stuff from 2006.

paint:water = 90:10 is correct.

I think you have probably coated onto plaster which is not fully dry and loaded too many coats on too quickly - what you might have got away with on the mist coat has been compromised by too much too soon on top of it.
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
  • davenottingham
    Options
    Ok sorry- I'll do a new thread next time....
    The plaster had been drying for about 10 days and looked dried out.
  • ValHaller
    ValHaller Posts: 5,212 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ok sorry- I'll do a new thread next time....
    The plaster had been drying for about 10 days and looked dried out.
    The perhaps you have overloaded with paint which has not fully dried out before the next coat has gone on?

Not sure what to do - if it is not yet dry, I think I would be wiping down with wet rags and washing off as best you can, retiring hurt and doing it again in a week or so.
    You might as well ask the Wizard of Oz to give you a big number as pay a Credit Referencing Agency for a so-called 'credit-score'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure