Preparing plaster for paint

Options

Comments

• lagi
    lagi Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    handyman. wrote: »
    you mist coat then paint as normal.......it usually takes 3 coats (including mist coat), although i have done new plaster in 2 coats before. Thats what you get when you use quality paint

Is that 1 mist coat and 2 normal???

Is there a look everybody should be looking for on a mist coat or once its done its done???
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2009 at 6:28PM
    Options
    There is a look, as when you apply the mistcoat you will see what looks like still pink plaster showing through, as the mistcoat is thin, this is what you want, as it gets into the plaster and seals it ready for your other coats.
    It also dries in about 30 mins, then you apply your proper first coat, I wouldnt use the paint straight from the can, as you dont want it to look thick and gloopy.
    I would just add about 10% of water, this is just enough to make it easier to work with, specially if your not a pro, as you need to be fairly quick when you paint a ceiling, as you want it to look even.
    You wouldnt get it even with your 2nd coat I dont think, so its best to do a 3rd coat, again I would add a little water, specially if your using a good quality paint.
  • stolt
    stolt Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Options
    wish i'd known about the silk emulsion for primiing plaster, think i managed to get mostly away with it. I have plaster board walls and had a builder in to cover a doorway up and where hes plastered over the doorway he hasnt plastered the whole wall just plastered just slightly over the new plasterboard and where the previous paint had been the new over paster has lifted and bubbled and when you pull it off or scrape it ends up coming away in great stretches. gutted the rest of the wall looks lovely. it wont be so bad as my wife now wants to wallpaper that wall!
    Listen to what people say, but watch what people what people do!!
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Our builder told me to use one massively diluted coat of PVA prior to painting. When I asked him why, he told me it was only to seal the dust from the new plasterwork. I bought the PVA but having read this thread I'm not going to use it, but I will make sure the area is completely dust free instead. Thanks everyone.
    Better is good enough.
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Our builder told me to use one massively diluted coat of PVA prior to painting. When I asked him why, he told me it was only to seal the dust from the new plasterwork. I bought the PVA but having read this thread I'm not going to use it, but I will make sure the area is completely dust free instead. Thanks everyone.

ask your builder about building matters , ask your painter about painting matters , from what i've seen builders make lousy painters ,
    make sure your matt emulsion is thinned ,as per instructions on tin
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options

Any reason why you've raised the dead?
  • Dippypud
    Dippypud Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    nickj wrote: »
    ask your builder about building matters , ask your painter about painting matters , from what i've seen builders make lousy painters ,
    make sure your matt emulsion is thinned ,as per instructions on tin

Not even wet behind the ears noobs...:eek:

Should know better...
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë"
  • SallyD
    SallyD Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Is buying Homebase new plaster emulsion just an expensive way of doing it and I should stick to 50/50 watered emulsion as the base?

Also, I have just removed the most shiny,sticky,plasticky type of paint which I think may be one of the "just once" gloss paints - full of dust particles and brush hairs! underneath a previously stained/varnished window cill. Taking the paint off has practically taken most of the varnish off as well so my plan is to rub down again, undercoat and two top of eggshell. Any advice would be welcome as I was wondering should I seal the cill before I undercoat and if so, with what.

Most of the place I have moved into must have had a quick tart up prior to putting on the market as all the paintwork is ultra shiny I only ever intended doing a light rub down and top coating with eggshell but removing the carpet leaves me with carpet stuck to the edges...ugh! so they must have painted skirting with the carpet down and no masking and rubbing the skirting reveals new bare wood in places. How I hate this thick shiny paint.
    SallyD
  • Mind_the_Gap
    Options
    SallyD wrote: »

Also, I have just removed the most shiny,sticky,plasticky type of paint which I think may be one of the "just once" gloss paints - full of dust particles and brush hairs! underneath a previously stained/varnished window cill. Taking the paint off has practically taken most of the varnish off as well so my plan is to rub down again, undercoat and two top of eggshell. Any advice would be welcome as I was wondering should I seal the cill before I undercoat and if so, with what.
    Normally eggshell paint is self-undercoating - you just apply two coats, with a light sanding in between. However if the window sill is virtually bare wood by the time you've got as much of the varnish off as you possibly can, I'd recommend Berger Primer/Undercoat (quick drying, water-based, 2 coats) before the eggshell.
    Most of the place I have moved into must have had a quick tart up prior to putting on the market as all the paintwork is ultra shiny I only ever intended doing a light rub down and top coating with eggshell but removing the carpet leaves me with carpet stuck to the edges...ugh! so they must have painted skirting with the carpet down and no masking and rubbing the skirting reveals new bare wood in places. How I hate this thick shiny paint.
    It's called 'gloss paint'! And it sounds like water-based gloss to boot - yack. Try to get rid of it or you will never get a good finish.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Normally ...........................snip snip....................
    May just be done by now - SallyD only asked 5 months ago. 6751_rolleyes.gif

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure