Preparing plaster for paint

Options

Comments

• stuartjp_2
    Options
    do not use silk emulsion on bare plaster, it needs to be left for about 6 months before silk emulsion,
    the first post was correct with the 50/50 mix with water but use matt emulsion only,
    pva is probly best used in the plaster imo "it does save on the painting time"
    and also buy good tools for the job i only use purdy but at 25 quid ago i dont recomend these mybe some harris or hamiltons should do fine "give it a real good wash out in water first if new and the same with a new roller" again get a decent roller and it will last for ever
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    stuartjp wrote: »
    do not use silk emulsion on bare plaster, it needs to be left for about 6 months before silk emulsion,
    what happens if you do?
  • stuartjp_2
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    what happens if you do?
    it wont seal the plaster it will sit on the top of it and it WILL peel of like paper
  • metalfury
    metalfury Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    misgrace wrote: »
    To get a good finish on new skimmed plaster you need to apply a miscoat... but if you go for the B&Q stuff as a cheap undercoat, be very careful if you then buy a good quality paint say for example 'dulux' as a top coat.

if your going to use B&Q paint, then stick with it all the way, dont mix the two.

Hi,

I've been reading your and handyman's postings with great interest as I'm currently fixing a previous 'bodge' of mine where the paint has been peeling off the ceiling :-( - I think the problem may of been due to painting over a 'sheeny' bathroom paint with a 'matt' paint. - Or it maybe due to the PVA problem described earlier (I painted cracks with PVA prior to covering with tape & plaster)

I was wondering why you cannot mix the two different manufacturers of paint?

For the job I'm doing I've sanded everything down, given it a very good wash and plastered over a few holes, cracks and gaps where the old paint peeled off. I was going to paint a miscoat using some watered down emulsion (crown brilliant white emulsion) over the bare plaster to seal it (and probably the rest of the ceiling to use it up. I was then either going to use a 'polycell crack free ceiling' paint or some 'multi surface matt emulsion' I have (It's a matt bathroom paint by Focus).

Do you have any suggestions about which paint I should use as the top coat and am I okay using the Crown paint as a miscoat? Any other suggestions would be gratefully received :-)

Rob
    Save Money, Make Money, Retire Early!
    astore.amazon.co.uk/money-making_money-saving-21
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Options
    Stick to the same brand of paint for your bathroom,and if you have done all your prep then there is no need to use a 'crack free paint', as it might hold cracks at bay for a while, but if a crack is going to appear, its best you see it and deal with it.

You are going to paint your bathroom ceiling in Matt, which is okay, as I paint them in Matt, 9/10 but, if you have a big family always in and out of the shower, then you might want to reconsider using a bathroom paint.

If your ceiling is still shiny and your worried the matt wont stick to it, then paint the ceiling first with an oilbase undercoat, any cheapo one one will do, add white spirit to it and mix, as it will be quite labouring to use it straight from the tin.

Then you apply your emulsion, and it will definately stick.

BTW, you can paint silk paint over existing matt, but if you paint matt over existing silk, specially if its only a couple years old, you can come up against problems.

You have to really sand silk or soft sheen down, to get as much as the shine off, then it should take the Matt.

New silk is a pain to paint over with matt,you either have to scrape it all off, or use something like, 'dulux alakline primer sealer' which is oil base, then you use matt, or the cheapo version, which I have used on may occassions, oilbase undercoat.:D
  • metalfury
    metalfury Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Misgrace for all the good advice; once I've had my cup of tea I'll get cracking! (maybe cracking isn't the best word to use!)

I've given it all a good rub down and clean - it wasn't too shiny to begin with, but hopefully this'll create an additional 'key'. Looking at it I don't think it'll need the oil based undercoat, as it looks quite 'matt'

I'll use the 'multi surface matt emulsion' for the miscoats and top coats as advised. There's only two of us in the house and the paint says it is suitable for bathrooms, so I think it'll do the job.

Cheers again

Rob
    Save Money, Make Money, Retire Early!
    astore.amazon.co.uk/money-making_money-saving-21
  • spamberler
    spamberler Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    handyman. wrote: »
    sugersoap removed grease and general dirt.......no need to use it on new plaster.

Better to use one of these, with some 80 grade sandpaper on it, over al the walls before starting painting

The sugar soap worked a treat on removing the sticky remains from the wallpaper! :j
    A dAy WiThOuT wInE iS lIkE a DaY wItHoUt SuNsHiNe
  • dunelm
    Options
    We have had our hall, stairs and landing skimmed, including ceiling and having read previous posts I thought I would let people know what I did to prepare the walls:

First - leave to dry - as walls only skimmed and in summer we left it for 2 weeks while we got on with some other diy jobs.
    Research - did a web search - lots of advice from painting and decorating suppliers - one example:
    http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz/wickes/resources/images/gil/120.pdf

Walls for emulsion paint and ceiling - primed with diluteded emulsion 1 pt water to 2 pt emulsion. ( I beleive that if you are going to paint walls using gloss then that is the time to use a PVA primer? - again do some research - PVA is also quite expensive)
    One wall for paper - made up a 'size' of diluted wallpaper paste.

This not only worked very well but was quick, easy and cheap.
  • baks_2
    Options
    Hi,

I have a quick question. I have had my walls recently skimmed and I was wondering whether I would use Dulux Super Matt with a 3rd diluted with water for the first coat and then apply two caots of the same paint on top ? or could I just apply two coats of the paint undiluted?

Thanks in advance.
  • Mark_Dillon
    Options
    sue_balu wrote: »
    Hi Can anyone advise me please. I have a New plasterboarded area which has been professionally plastered (smooth bare pinkish finish) I wish to paint with emulsion paint. How long should I leave the plaster to dry and then do I need to "prime" it or prepare it i any other way before painting it? If so what with and how would you recommend?

Many Thanks
    :beer:
    New plaster needs can be painted with 50/50 mat emulsion and water if the finish is to be emulsion. If oil based paints are the finish i.e. oil based eggshell or gloss. Then the plaster will need priming with alkali resisting primer to prevent the salts in the plaster attacking the paint system.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure