'What religion are you?' poll discussion

Options

Comments

• adrian_clark
    adrian_clark Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    Salaam wrote: »
    One for Mr Adrian Clarke to mull over.

A Muslim is someone who submits their will to God.

Jesus (pbuh) said "all of You who Submit your will to God, ARE MY TRUE Brothers and Sisters" (Mark 3:31-35).

(Matthew 7:21-23) "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles? Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'"

He said the will of my Father, not mine...

Quran 2:13: Say (O Muslims!): ' We believe in God, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, and Ishmael, and Isaac, and Jacob, and the Tribes, and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to (all) Prophets from their Lord; we make no distinction between any of them; and we bow to God (in ISLAM).

Jesus (peace be upon him) mentioned as PROPHET in the Bible:
    Matthew 21:11; Luke 7:16 & Luke 24:19.

We will put terror into the hearts of the unbelievers (Jews and Christians). They serve other Gods for whom no sanction has been revealed. Hell shall be their home; dismal indeed is the dwelling place of the evil-doers. (Koran 3:149)

Do you fear the unbelievers (Jews and Christians)? Surely Allah is more worthy of your fear. If you are true believers make war on them; Allah will chastise them through you and humble them. He will grant you victory over them and heal the spirit of the faithful. (Koran 9:14)
    Cast into hell every hardened unbeliever, every opponent from the people of the book (Jews and Christians), and every doubting transgressor who has set up another God besides Allah. Hurl him into the fierce tormenting flames of hell. (Koran 50:21
    Strongest among men in enmity to the believers wilt thou find the Jews… (Koran 5:82)

Believers, do not make friends with any men other than your own people. They will spare no pains to corrupt you. They desire nothing but your ruin. Their hatred is clear from what they say, but more violent is the hatred which their breasts conceal. (Koran 3:117)

• Sublime_2
    Sublime_2 Posts: 15,741 Forumite
    Options
    Not practising, but I believe in God.
  • taurean_rager
    Options
    There is only 1 God, we just all call him/her/it a different name :A
  • Gareth_Lazelle
    Options
    Maybe there are many Gods, but some of us interpret them all as aspects of one God?
    - GL
  • tbourner
    tbourner Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe there aren't any gods, and we interpret things we don't understand as being one or many gods.
    Trev. Having an out-of-money experience!
    C'MON! Let's get this debt sorted!!
  • adrian_clark
    Options

This is called pluralism. It fits neatly with the European dominant cultural mandate of liberal democracy that embraces diversity and tolerance as the highest ideal. It is a truth claim set appart from the truth claims offered by the world's religions. We are soon to celebrate the exclusive truth claims offered by Jesus Christ who established his Church 2000 years ago. I enjoy the assessment of the news of His resurrection after he had been certified dead by a Roman professional executioner:

Former Lord Chief Justice of England, Lord Darling said:

"In its favour as living truth there exists such overwhelming evidence, positive and negative, factual and circumstantial, that no intelligent jury in the world could fail to bring in a verdict that the resurrection story is true."
  • adrian_clark
    Options
    tbourner wrote: »
    Maybe there aren't any gods, and we interpret things we don't understand as being one or many gods.
    Great observation, thank you. You are really close. Psalm 63 says that the gods of the peoples are worthless idols. So your interpretation is right because idols are the false gods of the world's religions.
  • Red_Doe
    Red_Doe Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options
    It`s like a weird xtian spamming!

Good old heathen here, thank the Norns....
    "Ignore the eejits...it saves your blood pressure and drives `em nuts!" :D
  • tbourner
    tbourner Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    Options
    Great observation, thank you. You are really close. Psalm 63 says that the gods of the peoples are worthless idols. So your interpretation is right because idols are the false gods of the world's religions.

Close? How do you know? My theory could be correct. My interpretation was nothing to do with psalms either, as I've said I don't put my faith in the writings of others unless I can understand what they say and where the evidence comes from, psalms have neither of those qualities. Gods IMO are a human interpretation of an omnipresent being from a higher dimension, I believe in the being, but not the god.
    Trev. Having an out-of-money experience!
    C'MON! Let's get this debt sorted!!
  • CLGoggin
    CLGoggin Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    i'm a little late in on this one, but I heard a good story/quote by J John the other day (this is slightly paraphrased):

there are 4 main religions that depend on hirstorical personalities: Islam, Buddism, Judaism and Christianity.

You can ask all around the world but you would not find one Muslim that says the founder, Muhammed, once lived and then died, but he's alive today and I have a personal relationship with him.

You can ask all around the world but you would not find one Buddist that says the founder, Buddha, once lived and then died, but he's alive today and I have a personal relationship with him.

You can ask all around the world but you would not find one Jew that says the founder, Abraham, once lived and then died, but he's alive today and I have a personal relationship with him.

However, ask in every country (except 15) around the world and you will find many Christians that say the founder, Jesus, once lived and then died, but he's alive today and I have a personal relationship with him.

Imagine you are walking down the street. You reach a point where the road branches into two and you don’t know which way to go. Two men are lying there – one is dead, one is alive. Which one would you ask for directions?

thought it was good food for thought...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport