PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Parkin Recipe - by request

Options

Comments

• mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Ahhh...there it is! :D

I thought parkin had treacle in? :confused:

I haven't got any ground ginger, but I've got a bit of root in the freezer. Could I use that?

And have I got to go and buy a loaf tin now? I'm running out of space, I've only got a little kitchen. :(
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Ruby_Pudding
    Options

I haven't got any ground ginger, but I've got a bit of root in the freezer. Could I use that?

And have I got to go and buy a loaf tin now? I'm running out of space, I've only got a little kitchen. :(

I certainly have seen Parkin recipes with treacle and/or black molasses in but I think (and I am willing to be corrected) that basically golden syrup, treacle and molasses are all roughly the same kind of thing so as long as you use one of them you should be fine.

Root ginger has a different taste to ground so I'm not sure how successful that may be in this recipe - I would invest in a little jar of ground for about 99p as you can use in it so many different recipes. In curry for instance you could use a little alongside the root to really add some gorgeous flavours.

No need to go and buy a loaf tin - have you any tins at all around that you could use instead? In fact you may be able to use that ceramic pie dish as long as you line in with the greaseproof paper.
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    No need to go and buy a loaf tin - have you any tins at all around that you could use instead? In fact you may be able to use that ceramic pie dish as long as you line in with the greaseproof paper.

Tins2.jpg

Tins.jpg

That's yer lot. :D
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Ruby_Pudding
    Options
    Use one of the deep cake ones - they look ideal
  • jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Should we take this as notice that you are cooking again? :D
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    jessicamb wrote:
    Should we take this as notice that you are cooking again? :D

I might have a go at this one. :D:p

Probably won't do a thread on it though, as it looks a doddle for a cook of my calibre. trink04.gifhumble.gif
  • Ruby_Pudding
    Options
    Probably won't do a thread on it though, as it looks a doddle for a cook of my calibre.

Cheeky boy :D
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    I don't think it's a fan oven - just been to check and no sign of a fan.

Now this really worries me, I have visions of you opening the oven door expecting to see an desk top fan in your oven :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Ruby_Pudding
    Options
    Now this really worries me, I have visions of you opening the oven door expecting to see an desk top fan in your oven :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Is that not what I should be looking for then?? :rotfl: :rotfl: :D

I checked the manual eventually and it's not a fan oven and cooking the parkin at 150c seemed to work out fine
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    Happily, Morrisons loaf tins were £1.00 off today. :money:

So I bought one and am going to have a crack at this. If I'm quick I can get it in at the same time as my chocolate yoghurt cake that's in already. ;) It'll be ok at 160°C won't it? :confused:

First problem is, I can't weigh 116g golden syrup without making a mess. My CYC requires 4 level tablespoons. Can someone approximate 116g in spoonfuls for me please?

Ta. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure