Shabby Chic; Volume III - Page 324

New Post Advanced Search

Shabby Chic; Volume III

edited 21 May 2013 at 5:02PM in Old Style MoneySaving
6.5K replies 1.3M views

Replies

• suze200suze200 Forumite
    169 posts

An alternative to wax is patina which is a polyurethane gel. It is on the sheeny side as in patina of wood. It is super tough for such a thin coating, . 2 very thin coats, 4 hours between coats, dries quickly and 2 days later is coffee cup ready.

Hi andy. where can you buy this product please?
  • lostinrateslostinrates Forumite
    55.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    chalkysoil wrote: »
    in Sweden where there is little sunshine, they (well the places I went in) paint the insides of the window recess light yellow to make it feel like sunshine is coming in. I've done that with one of my windows.

I love this idea. I like different coloured window recesses anyway,so this 'sun spill' idea really appeals. It could look ghastly with the wrong shade of yellow though.
  • meames_2meames_2 Forumite
    747 posts
    I love this idea. I like different coloured window recesses anyway,so this 'sun spill' idea really appeals. It could look ghastly with the wrong shade of yellow though.
    what shade would you suggest?
  • emgemg Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    MEAMES wrote: »
    i can't afford it but I would love to redo my kitchen. However I have just noticed that the plastic coating on one cupboard door has cracked and bubbled and could easily be pulled off, so matters (or at least cupbpard door replacements) might mean I have to change.

My kitchen has never felt 'right'. partly because my last kitchen was massive! But what would you do? For example would you remove the cupboard at the bottom that annoys the hell out of the gas engineer - and me because I can't set the boiler timer. Is it because the cabinets are white that it feels so cold. It is at the back of the house and gets no sun.

Any ideas?

kitchen.jpg

To be honest, I would take out that cupboard at the end. It just looks all wrong and it looks like you have plenty of spare storage in that mystery cupboard under the clock. I think the cabinets and worktops look ok but, having lost the tall cupboard, I would put some colour on the end wall to warm things up and then have my accessories the same colour as that wall. White units and white walls together in a room with no sun does tend to look a bit cold imo.
  • Hi andy,

Have you stained the top of the table, or is that a natural wood finish?
    No stain, just real bare pine with a patina, nice isn't it! All sanded down and revived in situ while I was hand painting the kitchen.

I get the Patina from Mackay or Palace Chemicals. A 320gm tub does a lot of tabletops
    It is no fun getting part way through the decorating and you don't know the next step.
  • I thought that cupboard was the fridge freezer behind the doors :doh:
  • edited 21 January 2013 at 11:31PM
    emma_kateemma_kate Forumite
    491 posts
    edited 21 January 2013 at 11:31PM
    Andy, does the Patina gel darken the wood at all? Could you use it over bare wood that has been dyed (solvent or waterbased) or whitewashed with watered down emulsion? Thank you!
    p.s. I like the sound of 'coffee cup ready'. I just scream at my family about how long it took me to paint the beautiful table and run for a cloth as soon as food hits the surface. It's not fun for any of us....
  • meames_2meames_2 Forumite
    747 posts
    emg wrote: »
    To be honest, I would take out that cupboard at the end. It just looks all wrong and it looks like you have plenty of spare storage in that mystery cupboard under the clock. I think the cabinets and worktops look ok but, having lost the tall cupboard, I would put some colour on the end wall to warm things up and then have my accessories the same colour as that wall. White units and white walls together in a room with no sun does tend to look a bit cold imo.

i think it does look quite cold. The issue I have mailny with that cuppard is I think it was meant as an appliance cupboard ( but it isn't because I can't move the shelves and ther isn't a gap for plugs and stuff) so there is about 6 inch between the back of the cupboard and the wall, but the side of the cupboard reaches the wall, you can see it if you look at the very top of cupbard if you stand on a chair. If the cupboard was flush against the wall i don't think it would be so bad as I would gain floor space. I do have that as a pantry so all the foood is in that cupboard but with a little reorganisation it could all fit in the other cupboards. I would really like something like this http://dotsandspotsdesign.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/i-forgot.html

I'm glad it isn't just me that hates that cupboard!