PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Houses at £260/265k

Options
Do houses this close to the stamp duty threshold sell at the asking price in most areas? If there is no mention of stamp duty being paid by the vendors, is £250k a ridiculous / insulting offer?
3-6 Month Emergency Fund #14: £9000 / £10,000

Comments

• PosterBoy77
    Options
    Rosie75 wrote:
    Do houses this close to the stamp duty threshold sell at the asking price in most areas? If there is no mention of stamp duty being paid by the vendors, is £250k a ridiculous / insulting offer?

No offer is ridiculous or insulting if a house is on the market. It is only worth what someone is prepared to pay and if nobody has bought then it is probably not worth what it is being advertised for.
  • LittleTinker
    Options
    My last house was £265,000 but we paid £15,000 for fixtures and fittings.

We found out after we moved in that we were in a 'No Stamp Duty Zone' anyway.
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If a house is on the market for that price, the vendors must know the stamp duty problem. £250k will most likely be the minimum they will take.
  • Gambler
    Gambler Posts: 3,213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A house I have been keeping my eye on was originaly asking £275K, then the said they would pay the stamp duty, now it's down to £250K.
  • MascaraMinx
    Options
    I think they will expect to get offers at £250k TBH. We're buying ours at £250k and I think it's worth about £10k more but reckon they didn't bother asking because of the SD
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Our first set of buyers reduced their house from £285k to £270k and then accepted an offer of £250. The second set had their house on at £279, refused "silly" offers and sold for £271k. I think they were very lucky to get that price, there were others on in the same road that would have sold for £250 and, with £5k spent on them would have been worth as much as my buyer's house. They sold to what I would term niaive buyers who didn't really understand the british housing market.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • whambamboo
    Options
    Rosie75 wrote:

you need to be a bit more assertive with the vendors. Offering full asking price is ridiculous. Vendors expect offers well below asking price - if they had it at 250k they might expect £220-£230.

With your attitude you might overpay substantially. Of course nobody's going to pay £265k for a house.....

You are acting like the vendors are doing you a favour, and are ripe to get ripped off.

Never forget - they want your money.
    My policies are based not on some economics theory, but on things I and millions like me were brought up with: an honest day's work for an honest day's pay; live within your means; put by a nest egg for a rainy day; pay your bills on time; support the police - Margaret Thatcher.
  • PoorDave
    Options
    I have never known anyone be so "insulted" by an offer that it seemed to make any difference to therm accepting others.

They want to sell the house! For money!

I personally would never pay over the stamp duty threshold at 3% for a house of the prices you're talking about.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My last house was £265,000 but we paid £15,000 for fixtures and fittings.

We found out after we moved in that we were in a 'No Stamp Duty Zone' anyway.

I think you'll find that there are no stamp duty extempt zones, just some areas, considered deprived by the goverment, where there is no stamp duty payable on properties under £150,000.

As your property was over this amount the exemption wouldn't have applied to you anyway.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • LittleTinker
    Options
    cattie wrote:
    I think you'll find that there are no stamp duty extempt zones, just some areas, considered deprived by the goverment, where there is no stamp duty payable on properties under £150,000.

As your property was over this amount the exemption wouldn't have applied to you anyway.

The area we moved into is classed as "Zero Rated Stamp Duty Zone" as it is a conservation area.......nothing to do with deprived areas.....and that it still applies to the people who have just bought these houses at over half a million.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure