Compulsory Photo Driving Licence?

Options
Apologies if this has been answered already, I had a search for it but couldn't find the response.

DH and I still have the paper driving licences, but a conversation with my neighbour has me concerned - the neighbour insists that these are no longer valid, that EVERYONE needs to upgrade to the new photo type licence. I had a look on the DVLA website (and various others) but while it says that the licence must be updated when you change any details, it isn't very clear on whether the paper one is still valid when the details haven't changed, or if there is a date where it will no longer be so.

Can someone clarify please? I understand that the paper ones are no longer accepted as ID, but is the license itself actually still valid?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    Your neighbour is talking rubbish.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Seconded ;);)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    Your licence is valid until the date on it for the expiry.
  • Evilm
    Evilm Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    Options
    As long as they have the correct name/address details on them they are still valid. If you update your address then they will force you to have a photocard but until then enjoy having the paper ones!
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Yep. What everyone else said (with the exception of your minsinformed neighbour). :)
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wouldn't be the neighbour with the tin-foil hat would it?
  • johnwallace
    Options
    Thats one of the reasons I don't intend to move before I am 70 so that I won't have to get my paper licence replaced:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The old paper licence is valid until it's expiry date, or until you change your name or address.

If you change either iirc you can get the photocard licence free, as it's a legal obligation to keep your licence details up to date (and DVLA update the details free):)
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    The old paper licence to me is a treasure, they can have it back when I'm gorn:mad:, ;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I just hope I don't get asked to produce mine as it will probably disintegrate in PC Plod's hands, I have had it since 1990 :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure