PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Evict a rogue Landlord - Shelter...

Options
As we hopefully see from posts here & other experiences, most landlords are responsible, decent, guys 'n gals trying to run an honest business...I hope we'd all want the crooks booted out...

See this recent campaign from Mssrs Shelter...
http://england.shelter.org.uk/what_y...roguelandlords

Cheers!

Artful

Comments

• Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Options
    "Shelter believes that much more needs to be done to bring rogue landlords to justice and to drive them out for good. In particular, we want to see:
    • A zero tolerance approach to rogue landlords by local councils, backed by adequate resources - bringing all local councils up to the standard of the best.
    • The ability to ban people from being a landlord for a period of time if they are convicted of an offence related to their behaviour in this role, for instance harassing or evicting tenants illegally.
    • Greater transparency and accountability, so that the public are better able to hold local politicians to account for what they are doing to tackle rogue landlords."
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,555 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can we nominate Ms Butler?
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    Options
    Have added some extracts from Shelter's campaign material to the relevant thread :smiley:
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    Options
    sinbad - stop trolling.

This is a consumer website and this thread is about an action against rogue LLs campaign, organised by one of the leading housing charities. In the LL /T relationship Ts are the consumers.

Note Shelter's first paragraph on the link provided by Artful:

"While the majority of landlords are honest and responsible, unfortunately a small minority treat their tenants in a deliberately exploitative way, making their lives a misery."

Acknowledging that there *are* rogue LLs does not mean that *all* LLs are rogues: if you personally feel under attack perhaps you need address your own LLing practices?

If you want a different campaign to address the problems caused by the actions of a small minority of Ts you have the landlord associations to help protect your interests. :smiley:
  • sinbad182
    Options
    You misunderstood my post tbs624 - I wasnt having a go at any Landlords, I was making a quip regarding the substantial number of tenants out there who use the law to take the !!!! out of long suffering DECENT LL's through non payment, refusal to vacate, damaging with intent etc. Maybe a campaign against them AND dodgy LL's would clean the rental market up somewhat!

For every rogue LL, there is an irresponsible, unreliable, or outright malicious tenant.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,608 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 September 2010 at 10:46AM
    Options
    For every rogue LL, there is an irresponsible, unreliable, or outright malicious tenant.
    Your evidence for this assertion sir? From Court case records since, say, 1988 I'm not sure one would draw your apparent conclusion.

Artful

Why 1988? Well, Housing Act 1988 was considered by many as a significant change to the LL/T relationship
  • sinbad182
    Options
    Your evidence for this assertion sir? From Court case records since, say, 1988 I'm not sure one would draw your apparent conclusion.

Artful

Why 1988? Well, Housing Act 1988 was considered by many as a significant change to the LL/T relationship

I have no evidence, otherwise I would have said 'statistics show that.....'

Speaking purely from experience of managing my families property, and some friends experiences.
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    Speaking purely from experience of managing my families property, and some friends experiences.

Thanks: 'taint my experience (Landlord since 2000): Wonder why yours is so bad?? Did the Landlord training & accreditation you went through not set you up so there are few issues??

Cheers!

Artful
  • Trollfever
    Trollfever Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    Options

Running a business is about risk/reward.

To mitigate risk thorough checking of tenants and their backgrounds is essential.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback