New Guide Discussion: Everyone needs ESTA for US travel

Options

Comments

• flybynight
    flybynight Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought that was the case, didn't know if you could carry your old passport with you like you can with visas, ah well at least the missis doesn't need one, so its only one .
    saving for more holidays
  • Peter.B_2
    Options
    In an earlier post I said I was planning to fly into NY, travel over land to Canada and then back to the UK from Toronto.

My plan was to buy a train ticket from NY to Niagara (USA) then walk explore the US side of the falls, walk across the border explore to the other side, then pick up a hire car, explore Ontario and drop it off at Toronto airport.

From the guidance it looks like I could take the train to Niagara (Canada) and I may be okay. I have tried contacting the US Embassy but they only communicate by email and have so far failed to reply despite a promise that they will reply within 10 days.
  • kstrachan
    Options
    Help please I am trying to apply for ESTA for myself and my kids for a holiday next easter adn I cant get onto the official page as google states its and unsecure page ( and thats clicking through from US homeland page ) anyone got any advice to get a secure site for application please thanks
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The only official website is this one
    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html
    I've never had a problem or any security warning when accessing it
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Bond,James_Bond
    Options
    Just a word to all first timers applying for ESTAs. The USA does not recognise the concept of "spent convictions". Even if your offence ( CIMT) was 30 years ago, you need to disclose it. The UK does now share some criminal records with the States and if you answered "No" to the 'arrest' question ( when it should have been "yes", as the question asks "have you EVER.........") and the immigration authorities learn of it, your ESTA will be revoked, and you will have to apply for a Visa. You may not get one, on the grounds of misrepresentation ( to go with the CIMT)
    Of all the things I'm not very good at, living in the real world is perhaps the most outstanding
  • kstrachan
    Options
    jacqui thanks thats the site Ive been trying to get into - google chrome will not let me open it 'site is not private open to hacking etc' Im travelling with trailfinders Ill try a different browser but warning if you use chrome you wont get on the site
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I just got on that site fine with Chrome.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • GibbsRule_No3
    Options
    Is it okay to have a UK passport that does not have more than six months on it after I am due to return from the USA? It runs out in four months. I think the UK is exempt from needing six months, anyone confirm this? The US website that has "help" has moved the countries exempt page.
    Paddle No 21 :wave:
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 January 2016 at 8:03AM
    Options
    Is it okay to have a UK passport that does not have more than six months on it after I am due to return from the USA? It runs out in four months. I think the UK is exempt from needing six months, anyone confirm this? The US website that has "help" has moved the countries exempt page.

Absolutely fine, your passport just needs to be valid for the duration of your stay
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business