Only cruises - cruise deals for all

Options

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    they are bargains! mum can't go until at least May though. BCL would you recommend MSC then? I had been steering clear because of the mixed reviews although noticed they have several offers on.

Never done MSC, but I think about it this way the cheaper it is the more times I can go so I can be more tolerent of some of the shortcomings.

We have yet to be on a ship where we could not find something good to eat.
    I have never been on a ship where I have not found people to hang out with and chat and if the passengers are rubbish there is allways some crew that are friendly.
    We don't care too much about the weather, not into Sun and don't get sea sick.
    We are also OK with our own company so eat, drink, relax(indoor pool area helps) read, sleep and we can be happy for a week or two.

Once you get under £50pppn you are cheaper than a B&B+ meals in the UK so it has to be very very bad to not be better value.

Those Brazil transfers were fantastic value at £10pppn and solo rates at that.

If your mum is flexable I think she could wait a bit a lot of people will be holidaying easter/royal wedding this year so I think we could see some bargains in May and June
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    I have been on MSC departing Venice on Magnifica. For what we paid it was excellent. Lots of truth in the above though, not much queuing! but good food, and entertainment was fine, cabins well appointed and stylish, as arre the public areas.
  • bcl999
    bcl999 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    Those Brazil transfers were fantastic value at £10pppn and solo rates at that.
    I know. And as I had already built up some MSC club discount, I got a Cat11 balcony for £169!
  • Miss_Penny_Pincher_2
    Options
    Sorry to be a pain... but after doing the research on deals for mum looking at cruises to norway for may she has now decided she wants to see the northern lights in november instead!! i take it she can go to either iceland or norway to see them? she wants to sail from uk port but wondered if you are aware where I should start looking? only seen hurtigruten so far and they were over £4,000 for 8 nights eek! any main cruise lines you know of do this trip?
  • bcl999
    Options
    You can register her on the hurtigruten site for mailshots (if she doesn't have web access). I get them from them now & again as they also do Antarctica and I looked at them before I booked the Discovery. They are always advertising "deals" though I have never paid much attention. They seem, to me, to be more of a coastal packet shipping company which takes passengers and I don't think they will be like other cruise lines as far as facilities, entertainment, etc.

(I thought that the time for seeing Northernn Lights was Feb/March?)
  • getmore4less
    Options
    Should have gone last week.

I have been looking for northern lights for Feb 2012

The only ones found that are ex uk.
    Fred Olsen
    Cruise&maritime
    Saga

Don' think they do Nov 2011.

2012 is the peak year for Northern lights so might not get cheap like they did this year.
  • getmore4less
    Options
    The Dubai to EU cruises are offering some good prices, March April
    Usual Travel agents should be able to find these
    I found them on TXT, Ch 101 on freeview
    (not sure how old these adds are so availability may have changed)

2 costa ships for under £50pppn

April is a Solo on RCI Brilliance at approx £1100 for 16nights, £430 2pax cruise only
    Also the cruise before is looking cheap(Dubai India)

Fred Olsen have 22n for £1200 solo 2nd April

QM2 also has prices that look ok 17n < £1k

Other options that catch the eye

Also the 18n Independance trips next winter are OK prices but not as low as they got this year

Closer to home/today
    P&O have a few offerings around the £50pppd for March.
    Arcadia 14n £699 29March
    Oriana 17n £799 30March

• bcl999
    edited 25 March 2011 at 3:51PM
    Options
    Yes, I have been watching these cruises ex Dubai too. The Luminosa went right down to £399 cruise-only for a balcony but the Deliziosa is staying stubbornly high. There's got to be some last minute price drops with all these ships leaving about the same time, surely? I see that Fred Olsen seems to be planning on calling in at Alexandria still, which interests me as I haven't been there since the new library opened and I'd like to visit it. (Costa has dropped Alexandria.)

Where is the QM2 cruise from? I asked for a quote for the 16 nighter Queen Vic frrom Ft Lauderdale but it came in at £1700 due to the 75% supplement.
  • bcl999
    edited 26 March 2011 at 12:59PM
    Options
    Yesterday, Iglu still had the Fred Olsen on their website at £1199 sole occupancy so I enquired. They quoted £3489 and had the cheek to ask if I wanted to go ahead!!

Only insides left on the QM2 today - £1258 cruise-only or £15XX with flight to Dubai. Didn't ask about QE.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure