Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,745 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think I've been absent from my diary too this week. Just pottering on, no need to achieve anything. I've worked my way through all my jigsaws, so will have to do some work sometime soon...!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 February 2021 at 10:04PM
    Options
    Pottering is good apple.

Well my energy has well and truly disappeared today and I'm blaming the weather.  It's just constant rain but I am looking for the positives. Have been buying bits and pieces to make the garden look wonderful and need to dig out a border. The ground is pretty saturated so am now just waiting for a dry spell to get out there and dig. Have made a few 3bay purchases this morning, all carefully thought out and am getting the garden summer ready. I will appreciate these planning efforts when I'm out there in the summer, just the hard practical stuff to do now. 

No guilt for doing very little today. My mojo will return eventually and there's nothing urgent to do.

February spends

Supermarket £196.21
    Fuel £82.01

May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • CathT
    Options
    Well, today has been a little more productive. Slept well, survived on minimal coffee and eaten well. Will try not to slip into bad habits tomorrow.

Dh finished work early so we got to work in the garden. Old decking ripped up, border dug out for a new wildflower area. I've bought some wildflower mats so hoping for a stunning border. I'll do some more prep on it tomorrow and get them planted. I know the risk of frost hasn't passed but it does say to plant them out now and when I checked my area is predicted to have its last frost in May! Toying with the idea of creating a raised bed out of the spare soil but not sure the dog would leave it alone? Would only be planning to grow salad leaves so possibly not worth the effort? 

I've also emptied out the accounts ready for payday, does anyone else do this. I guess it's much more positive than counting down to payday as the money has run out??? £150 sent to a 0% card so that's coming down fairly well (£500 paid off in last couple of weeks) and just over £50 sent to mortgage. Need around another £20 to clear another month.

Small top up shop of a few essentials to avoid a supermarket shop which dh is a bit over keen to do!! 
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
     I’m more juggling to cover unexpected bills that cropped up rather than moving what’s left 😆 
    The wildflower mat sounds amazing Cath 💐
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • CathT
    Options
    Payday came and went, accounts filled and emptied. As we are focusing on clearing a 0% card before the deal ends I sent another £175 yesterday. We've cleared over £500 this month which really shows what you can achieve when you put your mind to it. As I have written that I've wondered how many months it would have knocked off the mortgage though! 

£3 sent to mortgage so we are slowly chipping away at shaving another month off. I seem to get more satisfaction when I see a month disappear from a Tilly tidy rather than a larger overpayment.

Starting to think about the fast approaching weekend and the weeks really are flying by at the moment. It's strange to think it's March next week and the clocks will be changing soon. Hopefully that's a sign of brighter times to come. 
  • CathT
    Options
    It's almost the weekend! I woke up this morning realising just how fast this week has gone. 
    We have a few admin type jobs and things to keep an eye on. Need to request an eBay refund if item doesn't arrive today and need to work out what's happening with another order as they said they would have to cancel so I requested refund but it says it's been dispatched??? Also have a click and collect order dh will collect for me today. DH also planning to ring tax office as during job change he ended up on emergency tax for 4 weeks and still has an odd tax code. It doesn't seem to be self-resolving so definitely time to chase up. 

We have a skip run booked for tomorrow after sorting out the garden over the weekend. It would have taken dh all day to shift it and I'd rather not have to pay but it will be worth it. 

I'm really trying to get organised in the garden and various packets of seeds have arrived but no propogator. Was hoping to get these sorted at the weekend but it's looking more likely to be an evening job next week. Just waiting for my wildflowers to bloom now! 

Payday for dh tomorrow and hope for enough of an overpayment from rounding wages down to get that month knocked off. It takes us from a January to a December month end too so it's a good milestone to keep us motivated. Almost feels like knocking a year off! 
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    We bought a propagator recently - I now have too many seeds to go in it!  Not sure DH is impressed with the trays on the kitchen windowsill and seedlings overtaking most surfaces!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • CathT
    edited 27 February 2021 at 9:47AM
    Options
    We bought a propagator recently - I now have too many seeds to go in it!  Not sure DH is impressed with the trays on the kitchen windowsill and seedlings overtaking most surfaces!
    This is the first year I've really gone for it with seeds so I'm hoping it pays off. I've pre-warned dh that they dining room windowsill is going to be a temporary greenhouse. It's the room we use least often so seemed like a good idea..... we shall see! 

£18.15 sent to mortgage last night tidying and rounding the account. Also had a big spend for us and maybe a bit extravagant. I've wanted quality rattan garden furniture for a while, particularly a cube set that can be stored away more easily as we have to leave it outside. We usually spend the summer dragging the cushions in and out off our other one which is a sofa style one and no good for outdoor dining. I've been looking at some for a while and was going to get an okay ish one for £300 which was out of stock. Ended up spending £500 on a better quality 9 seater set which stores away and looks really really good! Just need to clear that off the cc in the next few weeks and can send the first £100 over today. Also hoping to be able to 'furnish' my arbour this weekend with the blanket that dh picked up and various cushions, hanging decorations etc I already have. I'm already looking forward to my morning coffee sat outside listening to the birds once the weather is a little warmer. 

Have a good Friday folks! 
  • CathT
    edited 27 February 2021 at 6:25PM
    Options
    Well it's another bright start if not a little chilly, I hope my seeds are okay! Also had to re-plant a fuschia yesterday after work after noticing it missing from its spot in the border. Let's hope that is the last of the dog 'helping' in the garden! Skip run done, dh said they were literally here minutes loading up the van so that was well worth the £50. This morning I have sent £100 to cc towards patio set and £11 to the mortgage as £10 didn't quite knock that month off and I'm not patient enough to wait for a tilly tidy.

We are almost at month end and entering March really does seem to bring a feeling of positivity with it. Having said that, my first PB win would be most appreciated!

Today's plans include......
    A quick trip to HB for some essentials
    Clean downstairs shower room and utility
    Make arbour look pretty
    Read!!

February spends
    Supermarket £204.41
    Fuel £82.01

• debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Fingers crossed for that PB win. 

I know garden furniture costs but it’ll be worth it for sure. 
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport