PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How much to charge lodgers gf?

Options

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    klizw wrote: »
    the Direct Gov website has information about tax and says that bills, insurances, building repairs etc are allowable expenses

Not on rent a room AFAIK
  • klizw
    klizw Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    If the bills cannot be excluded for tax calculations, I will just charge a rental amount and we can pay the bills as and when they come in and split them 4 ways
  • getmore4less
    Options
    Spugzbunny, he very much has a home here, he doesn't just have his room, he has the run of the house as much as myself and my husband do

If there are now 4 of you sitting down to watch TV and use the joint facilities how much will this impact your lives.

OK she is around a bit anyway but does he go to hers sometimes?

I think if they have 2 rooms then that is a good amount of space for them so worth more than a double in a regular shared house.
  • spugzbunny
    spugzbunny Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2010 at 6:43PM
    Options
    the Direct Gov website has information about tax and says that bills, insurances, building repairs etc are allowable expenses

To be honest like all direct gov sites it is very confusing. It looks like under the rent a room scheme you can't charge for 'insurance, heating, lighting'. You can only charge rent and nothing else. The allowable costs section is headed with 'expenses you can deduct from letting income (unless it's under the rent-a-room scheme'. Very confusing that!

I think you need further advice from direct gov as well as the issue regarding what is reasonable charges to them.

i'm off now - good luck!
    House saving Targets:
    £17,700 / £20,000
  • getmore4less
    Options
    If the bills cannot be excluded for tax calculations, I will just charge a rental amount and we can pay the bills as and when they come in and split them 4 ways

Check the rent a room scheme rules carefully.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    If you paid tax on the additional income from the lodger's g/f over and above the Revenue's "Rent-A-Room" threshold I think you're looking at less than a grant a year if you're a higher-band tax-payer. i.e. less than twenty quid a week.
  • spugzbunny
    Options
    Spugzbunny, he very much has a home here, he doesn't just have his room, he has the run of the house as much as myself and my husband do

no I'm sure he does. It was more a general query you know. If I were a lodger I wouldnt feel comfortable putting up pictures in the living room for example. I'm not commenting on your situation at all.
    House saving Targets:
    £17,700 / £20,000
  • klizw
    Options
    Check the rent a room scheme rules carefully.

I will pay for mine and my husbands usage of elec and gas and they will pay for their usage, its a consumable expense like food so we can each pay what we use
  • klizw
    Options
    spugzbunny wrote: »
    no I'm sure he does. It was more a general query you know. If I were a lodger I wouldnt feel comfortable putting up pictures in the living room for example. I'm not commenting on your situation at all.

He is very at home here, I don't have family pictures around the house and neither does he, he does have personal things in shared rooms though
  • spugzbunny
    Options
    I will pay for mine and my husbands usage of elec and gas and they will pay for their usage, its a consumable expense like food so we can each pay what we use

thing is - I don't think you can. I think the rent-a-room scheme is saying you can ONLY charge rent. No consumable expenses regardless of whether they increase due to them being there. I agree it seems backwards but I'm pretty sure that is what it is saying.
    House saving Targets:
    £17,700 / £20,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family