PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How much to charge lodgers gf?

I have had a lodger for the past 6 months (he is also a friend), his girlfriend stays at the moment about 2 nights a week which is fine. She is now going to be moving in also in a few weeks but we haven't had the dreaded money talk yet! We charge our lodger currently £350 pcm all in, which is pretty reasonable. Does anyone have any idea of how much extra to charge for his girlfiriend? My husband thinks £600 total is fair but I would like some opinions.

I know that they will still just be renting the one bedroom and bills wouldn't go up to a quarter being £250pm but there is the additional factor of having another person living with us.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Out of curiosity, how much is a self-contained studio flat or 1 bedroom flat going for in your local area? What's the going rate for a double room in shared digs? Market rates should be the driver.

I bet your lodger isn't expecting their living expenses to virtually double when the GF moves in. How much does she currently pay for her digs?
  • Radiantsoul
    Radiantsoul Posts: 2,096
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Depends on which area you are in. If you charge more than the market for a small studio flat they will probably both move out. Is your lodger aware you are planning to charge anything at all?
  • klizw
    klizw Posts: 47 Forumite
    Yeah he is aware that we will charge her too but haven't discussed how much. A small 1 bed flat in my area is £350-£400 pm plus council tax and bills. Its hard to compare because our house is more upmarket as it is quite large with large kitchen, pool room and very nice furniture etc. Also they have the use of the third double bedroom for wardrobe space and guests to stay.
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I agree, that seems like an awfully big jump. If you're that reluctant to have someone else in your house, it would be kinder to give notice and get a new (single) lodger.

When I moved into my boyfriend's shared house some years ago, our rent for the room went from £300 a month to £400 a month, to fairly reflect any increased bills (let's face it, most couples cook and spend electric together so it's no huge amount) plus extra "space" in the house... that's the kind of proportions I'd expect.

Of course, in my area now you can get a flat for £400 a month but bills are on top. It's really worth thinking about that!
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,539
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    So how much is an upmarket flat in your area?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • bristol_pilot
    bristol_pilot Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    £600 is a bit steep considering they will be renting the same one room. I would have said nearer £425. As a couple, surely it would be better to get a place together anyway? I don't think I would want a couple as lodgers, neither as a couple to be lodgers. I can only assume they are staying in your place as a couple in order to save money - in which case £600 might come as a bit of a shocker!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Additional person costs are likely to be: £10 water, £15 heat/cooking.
    No extra for: council tax, TV license, phone line, buildings insurance, contents insurance
    Might be extra for: insurance, check if your household insurance allows you 2 lodgers, you might have to change companies.

So, the extra costs are minimal. There is the additional annoyance of having to share with more people. Additional potential for wear & tear.

So, I'd say, add 50% to the lodger's cost. £350 + £175 = £525.
  • klizw
    One of the one bed flats in my area costs around £60k but we paid £210,000 for our place
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Council tax, utility, water, TV licence and telecoms/broadband bills will take up the basic costs of a 1 bed flat in the local area to around £550 - £650. Most people lodge to save themselves money compared to renting a self-contained property, though others do it for the flexibility or to save themselves the huge upfront fees that come from renting as a tenant compared to a lodger.

I know its hard to compare like with like but if there's no great saving compared to having lodgings, plus they get extra privacy with their own place, I can see the £600 cost potentially disincentivising them from your property. What's the going rate for a couple sharing a room as lodger in your local area?
  • klizw
    PasturesNew - I know the bills wont go up by a great deal but surely she should still pay a quarter of the bills and council tax? So it should be added up and divided by 4 as there will be 4 living here in total? then add on whatever we decide for rent?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure