PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How much to charge lodgers gf?

Options

Comments

• klizw
    klizw Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    I've just looked that up, it says anything more than £354 per month I would have to pay tax, but is that per lodger or the total rent?
  • BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    Total rent excluding bills
  • klizw
    Options
    Council tax is about £200pm so 1/4 would be £50
  • spugzbunny
    spugzbunny Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    Assuming that my post above is correct and on the basis of what you have said above I think you should be calculating it as ....

Currently
    He pays £175 rent.
    He pays £25 G&E
    He pays £50 council tax.
    He pays £50 for insurance, water, telephone.

G&E should double = £50
    Council tax should become £75 for both (150/4 x 2)
    £50 water, insurance etc (bit high that!). Not much of this will increase with her being there. I'd say that would be £75 again based on most of it being the same as council tax presumptions.
    Rent - I think she should only pay half the rent that he does therefore it would increase to £262.50

This looks like a total of £462.50. Call it £465.
    House saving Targets:
    £17,700 / £20,000
  • spugzbunny
    Options
    klizw wrote: »
    Council tax is about £200pm so 1/4 would be £50

does he on pay 1/4 council tax at the moment? Are there 4 of you living there or was it just decided he should only pay 1/4?
    House saving Targets:
    £17,700 / £20,000
  • klizw
    Options
    spugzbunny, I can calculate it lots of different ways but the thing that I can't calculate is for just the fact that I will be sharing my home with another person so I need to charge to reflect that. We pay about £1300 in total for mortgage and bills here if that helps?
  • klizw
    Options
    no he just pays £350 including bills, I didnt work it all out at the time. the council tax here is £200, I guess he pays 1/3 just now but when she moves in we should each pay 1/4 which would be £50 each x 2 = £100
  • bristol_pilot
    bristol_pilot Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    Options
    Total rent excluding bills

Total rent including bills.
  • spugzbunny
    Options
    At the end of the day you can charge whatever you feel fit. It is up to them if they want to accept it or not. I understand that sharing means you need an incentive but that's the 'price' you pay (wee pun for you there!)

Just a thought - Some said anything over X amount in rent was taxable. If you are 'over egging' your bills costs by not carrying out a detailed calc. Could your lump sum be considered inaccurate and therefore the rent higher than you actually assign. For example you said it's £175 rent and the rest is bills? If you are over estimating bills by £50 then actually rent is more like £225. Does that make sense?

Sorry if I'm getting carried away! I do this sort of thing for a living! Just not with rent and houses!
    House saving Targets:
    £17,700 / £20,000
  • bristol_pilot
    bristol_pilot Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    Options
    I have a horrible feeling that the picture in the minds of lodger and g/f is that they will be sharing the current rent of £350 a month with perhaps a token additional payment to reflect the extra hot water for baths and showers plus the extra laundry.

Precisely. Will the OP be selliing tickets for when the lodgers are told the rent is £600? Will be better than EastEnders!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure