EXTENDED: You've got another week to add your travel & holiday deals questions for expert MSE Oli as part of the latest Ask An Expert event.

MSE News: Over 40% of cashback site users don't get paid

Replies

• michaels wrote: »
    This month 170 quid expected at Topcashback did not turn up which is about par for the course - probably it will eventually get paid but almost without fail it takes 2 or 3 (r more) months longer than they suggest. Still, I only use topcahback because the quidco tracking and chasing was so poor and CashbackKings, who in my opinion track better and pay quicker, started paying a lot less than the other two.

This why I am here. I am beginning to wonder if these sites are just a con. I changed my gas & elec supplier through Quidco with the promise of £80 back - on checking my account, I see it has been refused. I have received £3.50 from Quidco so far :( and note that they want me to put in my bank details again in order to pay me another £3.50 - why?? I can see the security lock at the bottom of the page, but I am always wary of putting in this kind of information willy-nilly. They evidently already had my bank details.
    What is the point of advertizing cash back, when there is a possibility of the Company then refusing to pay up? Smacks at fraud to me. I feel inclined to give up on comaprison sites. :mad:
    if i had known then what i know now
  • This why I am here. I am beginning to wonder if these sites are just a con. I changed my gas & elec supplier through Quidco with the promise of £80 back - on checking my account, I see it has been refused. I have received £3.50 from Quidco so far :( and note that they want me to put in my bank details again in order to pay me another £3.50 - why?? I can see the security lock at the bottom of the page, but I am always wary of putting in this kind of information willy-nilly. They evidently already had my bank details.
    What is the point of advertizing cash back, when there is a possibility of the Company then refusing to pay up? Smacks at fraud to me. I feel inclined to give up on comaprison sites. :mad:

Yeh it can be annoying this! I'd suggest submitting a query on Quidco if you haven't already done so. Also, in general, it's probably best to choose which product to buy without taking cashback into account. If that product then happens to have cashback available then the cashback is an added bonus: if you end up not receiving the cashback then at least you chose the best deal anyway.
  • edited 17 January 2012 at 7:15AM
    N9eavN9eav Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    edited 17 January 2012 at 7:15AM
    N9eav wrote: »
    Hi. I had the same problem. I bought a large item at Best Buy and also Dixons. Neither were paid and cost me in total over £50. They checked and checked, but said that 'someone else' got the cashback.

I am not sure how it all works, but seems that if you use other sites or look for discount coupons or use a price comparison site before, its possible that inadvertently they get the credit even if you use the cash back site links.

I have almost given up, but at the very least I don't presume to get cashback, if I do it's a windfall

Since writing my disapointment about cahsback sites, I must say that things have improved.
    I recently got £50 back from Aviva which was surprise and meant my car insurance, fully comp was less than £200.

The best way to get cashback is to clear cookies and history from your computer. Avoid checking other discount sites and coupons etc before purchase as your web address gets logged in there and that is why you can miss out.... or clear your cache again.

Topcashback is working well for me now and I was a big critic. £75 cash windfall on it's way to my bank account :)
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • When I was looking for travel insurance in August 2011, I gave my business to More Than explicitly because it offered £23.23 cashback though the TopCashBack website. This cashback was factored into my costings and resulted in my choosing More Than in preference to other insurance companies. After accepting More Than’s quote, however, I only received £7.07 cashback. I have sent e-mails to both TopCashBack and More Than (what a stupid name!) but have got nowhere. More Than have not even had the courtesy to acknowledge my e-mail. I'm not sure whether I should be focussing on More Than or TopCashBack, as I don't know which one is responsible for this. This is the first problem I've had with TopCashBack, from whom I received my first payment of accumulated earnings of £84 a few weeks ago.
  • N4poleonN4poleon Forumite
    3 Posts
    I cannot believe that the AA take months to payout cashback. I suspect that my £50 is lining the pocket of quidco. If I ever see it I will be amazed. Its time for a TV expose of these sites on Watchdog and rogue traders... what legal recourse do we have ?
    :money:
  • CoCoPops_2CoCoPops_2 Forumite
    1 Post
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I agree, there definitely should be a TV expose on Quidco! I purchased Aviva car insurance via the quidco website, which they have accepted as a purchase, yet they refuse to pay me the cashback! I have complained with no success, does anyone have any suggestions??
  • Is anyone else having problems with being locked out of their accounts?
    I've been locked out for a while due to 'site issues' requiring existing members to authenticate their email addresses yet no email link ever arrives.
    No response yet to sort this out - is Topcashback financially secure?
  • slewtsslewts Forumite
    74 Posts
    hugh88 wrote: »
    Is anyone else having problems with being locked out of their accounts?
    I've been locked out for a while due to 'site issues' requiring existing members to authenticate their email addresses yet no email link ever arrives.
    No response yet to sort this out - is Topcashback financially secure?

My father in law thought he had been locked out of his account, but when he contacted TCB they told him that his account was closed!
    He never asked for it to be closed and had over £100 cashback to be paid,I emailed TCB on his behalf to be told to expect a reply within 10 days!
    I think there are some major problems in their IT, as I have had cash back showing payable but unable to withdraw and then it disappears completely.
    The "customer care" is very poor,will only be using Quidco once this debacle is sorted.
  • carhcarh Forumite
    174 Posts
    Forumite
    Don't bother to even waste time with Top Cash Back or Quidco. The former blames the other retail companies for not paying out but I have directly rung companies who say this is ALL with the cash back co., their deal, their pay out. Quidco have so may restriction on their payouts that I have not yet once had any cashback go through. I am still waiting as year for one TCB payout and they are now ignoring my chasing.
    Carh:A
  • edited 31 January 2015 at 5:00AM
    jenniewbjenniewb Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 31 January 2015 at 5:00AM
    I thought I'd post here to warn people about Holland and Barratt who have never paid me for what has been quite a few shops via either Quidco or TCB. I know that everything else I've bought with them has been tracked so find it hard to believe that H&B has not worked.

Each time I've been declined my cashback by Holland and Barratt I've placed a claim- normally this helps and I win (I don't make things up when I make a claim, so in my mind the fact this ends up as OK and I get my cashback isn't "great/fantastic" it's "about b***** time!") I don't however get my cashback paid by Holland and Barratt any time I make a claim despite using a cashback site each time fair and square.

I'd say in terms of cashback they should owe me around £25 to £30 within the past year or so. I now don't shop with them because of this. They were never irreplaceable. Boots, Superdrug and a range of other websites will offer just as good a service and as I'm not worried about missing out on the cashback because H&B never pay up, I'm not missing out on anything and in fact gaining points and less contempt from them as a service instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy Price Cap change

Martin Lewis on what it means for you

MSE News

Best £1 you've ever spent?

Share your most impressive bargains

MSE Forum