🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Natwest did search before I agreed to it

Options
I went through the application process for a Natwest credit card yesterday. I am wanting a 0%. For some reason it came up with an indication of the rate (not 0%) and a lower credit limit than I wanted. It said below it that a search would be carried out etc. I decided not to proceed as they couldn't offer me what I wanted.

Now, I did wonder how they were able to give me any sort of rate or anything without searching, but it clearly said the search would be carried out after I had digitally signed the agreement (which I didn't).

Though I check today and find they have searched. Just wondering why the search before they say they will?

Comments

• The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What type of search was it? Could it have been relating to an existing account?
    You're right, it's a bit odd that a different rate was calculated without a search, but this could be based on your circumstances according to the data on the application you had previously submitted. They have no obligation to offer the 0% deal to everyone and can offer a different rate based on circumstances.
  • Savvy_Spender_South
    Options
    there are two searches basically.

Diring a telephone app or online a quick electronic seach of your credit history allows them to assign a rate/limit in principal. same for CC as for loans.

Then on completion of app, full search to weed out the fraudsters before issuing the card.

on a credit file, this would show up as 1 search in the end as it is for one product, you cut in half way so it appears like a search (it is but also it is a half.. sort of!)
    Marry a Foreigner, its so much cheaper!
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    there are two searches basically.

Diring a telephone app or online a quick electronic seach of your credit history allows them to assign a rate/limit in principal. same for CC as for loans.

Then on completion of app, full search to weed out the fraudsters before issuing the card.

on a credit file, this would show up as 1 search in the end as it is for one product, you cut in half way so it appears like a search (it is but also it is a half.. sort of!)

What type of search does this show up as though?
  • fawinds
    fawinds Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure about credit cards, but for current accounts they do a search just after you enter your personal details. I have three of those and wrote a complaint. No use since they say you accept it.

Just read at the bottom of the application form this:
    Please read and agree how we will use Your personal data (Opens in new window)

As from there, you have been credit searched. And yes, it is a full search.
  • chexum
    chexum Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    fawinds wrote: »
    "Please read and agree how we will use Your personal data (Opens in new window)"

As from there, you have been credit searched. And yes, it is a full search.

Oh, my... :eek:

That looks almost the same as RBS - I sometimes look around to see if a specific application recognises my addresses, or how many addresses do they require. I wondered how they managed to offer an overdraft before submitting the application :o

Oh well, now there's no choice, having wasted a search already, just to submit an application, praying that they can accont for the previous search, and lay my faith in the hands of the RBS/Natwest AVU :A
    Enjoy the silence...
  • fawinds
    fawinds Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you make another application, they will conduct another search. Sorry, no other choice. I had some extensive correspondence with some staff from the complaints department (or some similar name) and they agreed to delete a credit search they made when I applied for an e-ISA, but not for two other searches they made in unfinished applications.

I even considered to raise my concern to the ICO, but decided not to do so as you are supposed to have read the personal data bit and agreed to whatever it says.

Whenever you want to apply for an RBS/Natwest product, just be ready to do it at once. It will be no good if you change your name in the middle of an application: You're already been searched :mad:
  • Bosie
    Bosie Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I brought this matter up a year ago,I was applying to RBS and decided not to complete the application!
    On checking they had done a Full search with Equifax:eek: I always thought it was checked at the end of an application.
    Bit naughty really.
  • Savvy_Spender_South
    Options
    Look forward to a credit search when your car insurance is due, that surprised me!
    Marry a Foreigner, its so much cheaper!
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Look forward to a credit search when your car insurance is due, that surprised me!

Yes but insurance quote searches aren't visible to other lenders and don't affect your score :o
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • digitalphase
    digitalphase Posts: 2,087 Forumite
    Options
    It is quite naughty of them really. I could understand an ID check or something to give me a rate in principle, then if I agree they can then do a full search. But this was a 'credit card application' full search. I chose not to proceed - well, I thought I chose not to proceed! - as they couldn't better the rate I already have. Hmm.

Hopefully this will be a warning to others!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport