Proof of redundancy for JSA?

Hi there,

Apologies if this question has already been asked and answered, I had a trawl through previous posts threads and couldn't find anything relevant.

If my employer makes me redundant am I entitled to ask for some kind of written proof e.g. a redundancy notification letter or something? The company aren't too hot on documentation, I've been there three years as a full time PAYE employee and never had a contract of employment.

I'm just a bit concerned that if the worst does happen and I leave with no redundancy-cofirmation documentation i may have problems if i try to claim JSA?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,779 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I think they should be giving you a P45 when you leave - you'll need it to show to your next employer and/or the HMRC/DWP....
  • ok thanks, but i don't think a P45 is proof of redundancy vs resignation from a job, please correct me if i'm wrong.
  • SarEl
    SarEl Posts: 5,683 Forumite
    I believe that I am correct in saying that regradless of what proof you have, they would contact the employer to confirm it anyway. I'm not an expert in this field (you might be better on a benefits board than here) - but I understand that the normal process is that they take you at your word with or without proof at the time you register, but an enquiry is made with the employer to confirm your reason for leaving. This seems to be the case with most of the people that I work with, most of whom are in much more dire circumstances because they have been dimissed and therefore can be sanctioned - in these circumstances, because they are claiming (usually) a legal case against the employer, we provide confirmation of this where it is queried, which usually means that the DWP does not sanction them.
  • dizzybuff
    dizzybuff Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    If your emploer was on the ball you should have received a redudency letter , this should be all the proof the JSA needs . My husband got one when he was made redudent 2 years ago , but thank god he never needed to sign on.
    ONE HOUSE , DS+ DD Missymoo Living a day at a time and getting through this mess you have created.
    One day life will have no choice but to be nice to me :rotfl:
  • Nine_Lives
    Nine_Lives Posts: 3,031 Forumite
    Very interested in this as the g/f will be made redundant next March at the latest. If she gets a job instantly, then great, otherwise she'll need to sign on.

Is there a standard procedure that all employers should follow regarding this? Such as a redundancy letter as mentioned & at what point you should expect this?

As once the business has closed, how would they get in touch with him? The business' phone number wouldn't be getting answered as there'd be nobody there.
  • marydot
    marydot Posts: 183 Forumite
    I got a redudency letter when i was made redundant back in 2009. I signed on and the job centre took a photo copy of it as proof. so do take any letters or wageslips as proof, or anything that you can find as proof, as they will ask for it.
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I got a redundancy letter but the Job Centre didn't ask to see it. I told them I'd been made redundant and they clearly took me at my word. However, a friend goes to a different Job Centre to me a a couple of miles away and they asked for sight of her letter.

She didn't show it to them as it had her redundancy pay calculations on it and she didn't see why they should see those, they only asked the once at her initial interview, she just said she didn't have it with her. They did ask her to bring it to her first 'signing on' but she didn't bother and they never asked again.

Both contribution base JSA in case that makes a difference.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    According to the employment act you are entitled to writen reason for the termination.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1996/ukpga_19960018_en_10#pt9-pb2-l1g92

Now this bit might have been change by subsiquent acts which fiddle with bits of the 1996 act.

One of the pros probably has that info in their head there are a few acts to look at.
  • dugdale_2
    dugdale_2 Posts: 470 Forumite
    In the Jobcentre where I work if no redundancy letter is provided by the customer at the new claim interview an ES85 (letter sent to employer asking why customer is no longer employed) is sent to the employer.
  • Thanks very much for all your replies - if the worst does happen I'll request a redundancy letter before I leave.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure