Natural Hair Dye for grey hair

Options

Comments

• santer_2
    santer_2 Posts: 4,406 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Potatoes are also good for hair — getting rid of those greys the natural way.
    Boil potato peels in water for 30 minutes and cool. Use this water as an after-shampoo rinse and it will gradually darken grey hair, without the need for harsh chemicals.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2004070/The-appeal-peel-The-surprising-ways-fruit-veg-skins-work-wonders-looks.html
  • lexa34
    lexa34 Posts: 587 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good thread on various natural hair dying options thanks people! I found the PDF from a post on page 1 really helpful and informative. It is downloadable as a free ebook for "how to henna your hair". I got some henna in Morocco but a bit nervous to start experimenting with it but going to do a test on it tomorrow following instructions gleaned from here. I enjoy found regards the history of henna part interesting!

http://www.hennaforhair.com/
    Green and minimal chemicals is the new black- I know a fair old bit about sustainability, specially energy and transport stuff. If I can help- please ask!
  • Sharlee
    Sharlee Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Lexa

I've also been looking into henna. Other places with lots of info are Henna Boy (a uk supplier) and the Long Hair Community forums. You could do just a henna gloss to begin with, or mix the henna with indigo, katam or cassia for different colours. Glossing is just a small amount of powder mixed into a cheap conditioner to cover all your hair, wrapped and left for half to one hour. It's more subtle and less faffing than a full henna application.

Regards
  • Peter_Pan
    Peter_Pan Posts: 791 Forumite
    Options
    I use the naturtint range, its the only hairdye i have used that doesn't make my scalp sting or itch :) i know its not ideal as there are a few chemicals in it but for me its a step in teh right direction, i do find the colours come out darker than you think but apprently you can mix colours together. Ihaven't tried henna, sounds too time time consuming and messy for me.

Debbie
    We love what we are doing and we love why we're doing it!!
  • lexa34
    lexa34 Posts: 587 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone used Indigo?
    Green and minimal chemicals is the new black- I know a fair old bit about sustainability, specially energy and transport stuff. If I can help- please ask!
  • ludemon
    Options
    Is it possible to have a name or address of this health food shop, please
  • Louise171
    Options
    Henna doesn't work on hair that is 100% grey - it's OK for a few grey hairs, but if your hair is 100% grey it will turn your hair green and won't cover the grey. I've tried Body Shop and Lush henna, and it's turned my hair green because my hair is 100% grey.
  • rinabean
    rinabean Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That must be because of additives to the henna. Actual henna cannot turn grey things green (although it is green itself which can be worrying the first time you use it, haha). Buy pure henna and that won't happen. Neither Lush nor the Body Shop are as "natural" as they claim, their products are full of artificial rubbish.
  • amandatymms
    Options
    Hi
    I have recently got some Henna powder, and found on the internet that if you mix it with lemon juice and cider vinegar it will go on better. Well, I used these, with a bit of coffee (put in more than you would expect to do the right job, and NOT instant!), and 5-6 weeks later, my hair is still a dark gingery colour :)
    The plus point with this is that it doesn't have the 'unknown' problem, as you have made it yourself, but I am not sure how bad it is for your hair.
    Just thought you you might want to know :)
  • rainbowj63
    Options
    Has anyone tried I Herb the american website it has natural hair dyes and even with the postage it is much much cheaper to buy from them, the service is brill they also have a myriad of other health products any and any supplement you would wish for and toiletries you name it they have it have a google I HERB. Postage is reasonable too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure