PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Long_tall_sally
    Options
    Thanks to Rosieben, Mrs M and Pink for the thread.

I used the last of my £5 Tesco today. I spent £46 but that included £7 on some clip & lock storage containers which I am not including and also another £4 odd in the co op but which included £2.46 on stamps which I am also not including. Included in my Tesco amount was 2 tins of Quality Street & Roses so thats me started on my "December event" shopping.

I've been searching for recipes for the last hour & managed to find plenty for carrot soups to use up my glut of carrots but am still struggling to find an easy lemon cheesecake recipe to use up all my lemons. i also have two thirds of a pot of double cream which typically I bought for something that I now cant remember what and would like to not waste it so any help would be greatly appreciated.

My freezer is absolutely choc a bloc so I really need to stop shopping apart from milk, F & V and bread. For some strange and bizarre reason I am actually feeling optimistic that this will be the nonth that I do achieve target! I can but hope!

Good luck everyone.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ... am still struggling to find an easy lemon cheesecake recipe to use up all my lemons. i also have two thirds of a pot of double cream which typically I bought for something that I now cant remember what and would like to not waste it so any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

I found a couple - a Mary Berry recipe and a James Martin

I'll be back if I find anything else ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • guccigoo
    guccigoo Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    hi all and big welcome to all the newbies:wave:with there first challenge you will get lots of support on here and were all a friendly bunch :D

Today i went to asda, worst thing i could have done as i spent £19.91 on lots of offers so i def wont be needing much this week for my weekly shop. Cooked a lovely gammon in the SC today and came out all tender, delish :j Will prob use the rest of it tomorrow for dinner with some potatoes and veg. off to update sig now :)
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • Lindy_-_Loo
    Options
    Have spent £27 between Netto, co op and the buchers. tomorrow see's the delivery of my first monthly on line shop, hopefully we should come in under budget this month as we will only be topping up stuff this month.

Good luck everyone xx
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • laloopi
    laloopi Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to these boards (been lurking for about a month) so this will be my first GC!

Please could you put me down for £260 from the 1st September. This is for DH, DS age 1 and me, including our four organic veg boxes @ £15 each and two organic meat boxes @ £25 each so the challenge for me is to keep all other groceries below £150! We've stocked up recently so it shouldn't be too hard but as we spend £260 excluding the boxes in August then it's still a stretch for me :-). I'm going to aim for 5 NSDs as well (versus 2 in August).

Looking forward to it xx
    Must get organised and rejoin grocery challenge!
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This isn't related to GC but I thought it might raise a smile ! I for one don't know whether to laugh or cry ! last saturday evening, whilst watching casualty, I managed to knock half a glass of red wine over the carpet ! this week, I managed to knock near on a full bottle of beer on the carpet ! it wouldn't be so bad expect for the fact that I had spent the afternoon tidying up / housework etc and had everything "just right". Now my sofa is not where it should be while the carpet dries ?! I hadn't even taken one sip and it wasn't the cat's fault either (like last week!)

in food news, I am meant to be following sw and think this might be my only reason for visiting the supermarket this week (to buy fresh fruit). im well stocked for everything else. the apple pie i bought in the m&$ dine in for 2 has been cooked and I will enjoy a slice of that later with a nice dollop of clotted cream ! I know this is a contradiction in terms, given the first paragraph :rotfl: but it is a bank holiday after all ! im looking forward to the september grocery challenge because I am feeling really determined. as mentioned earlier, my freezer(s) are full as are my cupboards. If I can live on the budget I have set myself then this I think will set a precedent for future months. what it boils down to is less money spent on food bills means more money in the bank / more money to put towards my credit card. :j
    have a lovely evening all and enjoy the bank holiday :D
  • toddles*
    toddles* Posts: 362 Forumite
    edited 30 August 2010 at 9:42PM
    Options
    edit- just menu planning now,

Ooh Im salvating at the thought of all the delicious meals.
    Happy days
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    Options
    As a veggie I shouldn't be encouraging you, but as a money saver I would say AS MUCH AS YOU CAN CARRY!!! :rotfl:
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • muffin_man_7
    Options
    I might not of made my target £120.00 but I halved my overspend £47.74 and for me thats a step in the right direction
    Now when i've had a chance to sort receipts out and work out what got used and whats left
    Some can go in my xmas box ready for December and some can go in winter box say 1or2 of each item anything more can help me through september if need be
    As long as my spends keep going down thats a good thing need to start getting ready for cold weather this will hopefully keep me at home away from shops lots of nsd is what i need although there were not that many for august will have to check ?
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    Coooeee everyone :wave:

Welcome to all the newbies and good luck to everyone, and many thanks to Pink, MrsM and Rosieben for all the hard work that goes into each months threads :)

Could you please put Hippeechiq down for £275.00 again this month please for 4 Adults and no pets

Have failed my first two at this amount, July by £24.08 (haven't yet finished August but so far am £8.29 over budget) but third time lucky, eh? :D

So far in August I've only had 8 NSDs, and whereas I would like to have more in September, it's more important to me that I stay within budget rather than focus on having more NSDs - but I will try.

My September challenge starts on Wednesday 1st -30th September inclusive so see you all again then :)
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport