Center Parcs disappointment - best way to complain?

Options
h.cowell
h.cowell Posts: 228 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi :)

We just got back from a midweek break at Center Parcs Sherwood Forest. We have been there before and enjoyed it, so were prepared to pay the extortionate price for a holiday at the end of Aug (£1100).

What a disappointment! The villa was very tired, and I could make you a list of things that were wrong but won't bore you with that.... the thing that really upset us was the state of the mattress protectors which we uncovered on our last day while we were stripping the beds (as requested).

The single bed my daughter slept on had a large stain on the protector and on close inspection smelled faintly of urine.... since she had no accidents while we were there (the sheet was clean), it could only have been there some time _pale_.

Our double bed was a disgrace too. I took the sheet off to find numorous stains and lots of hairs of various lengths and <ahem> curly-ness.

To be honest it made me feel ill. We complained at guest services and while the lady was sympathetic there was no mention of any follow-up or compensation. We paid enormously for this shabby villa and all they could offer was a 'there, there, we'll clean up better next time!'.

Last time we stayed in Sherwood we had to have the bathroom re-cleaned (it smelled bad on arrival!), various light bulbs replaced etc, but we overlooked it since the service we got was prompt and efficient. This time we're not happy to just let it pass. Do Center Parcs actually care about their customers??? :(

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Savvy_Spender_South
    Options
    You complain in the normal way sending a paper or email letter to their customer service department. If posting, proof and date in case they do not reply.

I quick google serch will show a raft of Centre Parcs customers who have done just that with examples of their letters, should save you some typing.

Interestingly, there are not may satisfactory outcomes.

Other options: are you ATOL protected as it is a Holiday?
    did you use a Credit Card, could they get involved?
    Marry a Foreigner, its so much cheaper!
  • h.cowell
    Options
    Thanks for your reply :). I think we'll probably send a letter to head office (wherever that might be). I had the feeling we were being 'fobbed ' off by the guest services lady, since they more than likely keep such complaints internal (making assumptions here).

Not sure about ATOL, I don't think it applies? We used a debit card to pay - sigh.

I'll have a look around on google and see what comes up. Many thanks for your suggestions :)
  • Savvy_Spender_South
    Options
    You are welcome. There seems to be a lot of people complaining about CP, i wonder if its on a bit of a downer at the moment, cutting corners during the crunch?
  • h.cowell
    Options
    You are welcome. There seems to be a lot of people complaining about CP, i wonder if its on a bit of a downer at the moment, cutting corners during the crunch?

I think you're right. The maid (who looked run off her feet) mentioned that our villa had been due for refurbishment about a year ago but it was delayed due to the economy. In general, the staff didn't seem happy throughout the site - the word 'lackluster' comes to mind. They definitely didn't seem motivated.
  • Savvy_Spender_South
    Options
    Ah it all make sense! good luck with your complaint.
  • kerry49
    kerry49 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    oh no I am due there end of November with 2 small children in a comfort villa, i will be devestated if its minging I am going to be in the Oak area, any reviews???
  • ukjoel
    ukjoel Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you look on trip adviser there are a significant number of bad reviews. They are tiny however when compared to the number of really good reviews.

Most issues are with state of cleanliness in the cabins and I think due to the volume of people leaving and arriving twice a week its a logistical nightmare and that means if the place is a real tip, they can only do so much with it.

Not an excuse but maybe they need to be more flexible in their arrival and leaving times so they dont have such a big change on Monday and Friday.

It would be interesting to see how they handle the change - they must rope in anyone on site to clean out cabins in those 3 hours and OP probably had theirs done by the archery instructor or the belly dancing troupe.
  • h.cowell
    Options
    kerry49, please don't let me put you off! We have had some great holidays there and our previous villas have been just fine. This one was tired and overdue a refurb - it was in pine, by the way. I haven't stayed in oak, but I'm sure you'll be ok. If you have any problems, report them straight to guest services - they are quick to act on any complaints such as equipment that doesn't work.

ukjoel, I have been wondering if it's the time of year i.e. end of the summer season, that made it worse for us this time. The turnaround time is very limited (we vacated at 10.30am and new guests would be in from 3pm. When the place is full that's a LOT of villas to clean! Still, there's no excuse for really poor cleanliness. I actually felt sorry for the maid, since she seemed quite stressed :(. Maybe they are understaffed.
  • **curlywurly**
    Options
    I have had many lovely holidays at three of the UK CPs. Barely a complaint to report. But last time I was there I did have to complain, then I had to chase the complaint, then I got a fob off letter. So I am sorry to say that it seems that you have been unlucky, but I would not expect to receive any satisfactory response. That should not put you off trying though ! And make sure and add a review to tripadvisor. Good luck
  • spandangled
    Options
    I complained last time I was there but about the food, I complained at the time in the restaurant and we had the meal for free and I complained a second time after we'd ordered a 'take away' that had arrived two hours later and luke warm (mmm luke warm rice!). The second time I complained on the feedback form and they followed it up after I'd left with a letter and a £40 refund which I wasn't expecting at all. So you never know!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure