'Do you read on the loo?' blog discussion

Options

Comments

• Sybersal
    Sybersal Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    I am a girl who has read on the loo - for years! Not sure why the hygiene issue is being played (I have worked in a hospital and catering and done various hygiene certificates)
    I sit and read, while doing my business, then I put the book away, do what needs to be done then wash my hands. Book/magazine never comes in to contact with anything it shouldn't?!!
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Certainly don't as a matter of course. Would never dream of keeping anything to read in there. But am not against the idea in principle. If I come in needing to go and there's post on the mat I'll often take that with me and read while sitting.

[I'm male, but my wife does the same.]
  • delain
    delain Posts: 7,700 Forumite
    Options
    Certainly don't as a matter of course. Would never dream of keeping anything to read in there. But am not against the idea in principle. If I come in needing to go and there's post on the mat I'll often take that with me and read while sitting.

[I'm male, but my wife does the same.]

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I know no one said it, but do you ever get tempted to find an inventive use for particularly troublesome gas bills :rotfl::rotfl:
    Mum of several with a twisted sense of humour and a laundry obsession :o:o
  • Zeema_Speed
    Options
    I am a woman but we always have reading matter in the loo. We have a full magazine holder and we also have books you can dip into: usually the humourous ones given as Christmas presents. My sister is the same !!!!
  • chocsessential
    Options
    Is there a possible gap in the market for a magazine called "On the Loo" (to be read you know where)?
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    About the only time I get a few minutes peace. I tend to get up, wander bleary eyed into the bathroom and have a few minutes with a book whilst nature takes its course and I wake up enough to shave without ending up looking like an extra from a horror movie. There is almost always at least one book in the bathroom, and we have a few "toilet" books in the downstairs loo - things that are easy to dip into like "Why don't penguins get cold feet" - a book full of little known factoids.

My dad always used to do it when we were kids so it just seemed natural - there were occasions however when as a child I did get too engrossed in a book and ended up with no circulation in my feet, massive pins and needles etc and ended up in agony. Its obviously hereditary as I have a clear recollection of finding my then 3 or 4 year old son (who couldn't even read at that point) apparently studying a pamphlet from the FSA on whether or not to remain opted out of SERPS! I'd obviously taken it there to read and he'd picked it up whilst doing the deed!

My wife however thinks we (the males in the family) and like my mum before, simply accepts it as one of those things men do that they don't want to join in with!
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Guiness book of records used to be in our bathroom in the old house and so did the big hardback Rileys book too but they got packed up when we moved and in the loft, so we'll have to wait till Christmas to have those in the bathroom again lol

Now there is usually an Auto Express and a couple of wedding mags.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • msagain
    Options
    I not only read in the loo but I have a bookcase in there. It tends to be the quiet time of the day and takes my mind off of what is happening elsewhere lol.:rotfl:
  • kalaika
    kalaika Posts: 716 Forumite
    Options
    I've never understood the need to read on the loo. I just go in, do my thing, clean up and leave. I'm not in there long enough to do any reading.

If I'm going to read I'd much prefer to do it in a nice comfortable armchair than on a cold toilet with my underkrackers round my ankles...

(P.S. I'm male)
    No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced. - Neil deGrasse Tyson (@neiltyson)
  • segarrett
    Options
    I'm a girl, and always read on the loo, there's a bookshelf right by it too. Favourite loo-time read on Saturday mornings is the Economist!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure