'The marketing genius of Tesco double points' blog discussion

Options

Comments

• inicholson
    Options
    ElkyElky wrote: »
    I would switch to Asda in a heart beat if they started their own clubcard with the option of collecting airmiles.

Get an Amex card and shop wherever you like!
  • inicholson wrote: »
    Get an Amex card and shop wherever you like!

More and more retailers are rejecting Amex, because of the cost, so you cannot 'shop wherever you like'.

I'd recommend John Lewis or M&S credit cards. Pay them off at the end of the month and get something for nothing. :j
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I see all the Tesco knockers are out on this thread!

Tesco are no better or worse than the other major supermarkets; they are all in business to make money for their shareholders and/or owners. Ethics don't come into it.

Most people (me included) shop wherever is convenient/offers the products they want/is cheapest/offers the best quality etc. etc.

If the supermarket happens to offer a loyalty or bonus scheme so much the better, but that should never be your main reason for shopping there.

If ethics really came into it, maybe people should use their local independant shops, not the big chains - but that would often cost more so not very MSE.

So shop where you wish, use any offers you can and be savvy working the Supermarkets to your advantage.
  • harz99 wrote: »
    Tesco are no better or worse than the other major supermarkets;

We'll have to agree to differ on that.
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    edited 25 August 2010 at 6:13PM
    Options
    The Clubcard scheme is a great marketing tool and all of the other supermarkets are envious, because their efforts to operate loyalty schemes have, without exception, been monumental failures in comparison.

Tesco is my 'corner shop' so I take advantage of what they have to offer. As far as I am concerned, by carefully taking advantage of their offers, we receive the highest benefit possible in terms of Clubcard Rewards.

Also, all fuel is purchased from Tesco using employers' fuel cards.

Last year we spent approx £5000 of our own money (plus approx £10,000 of our empoyers on diesel for our own two cars) at Tesco and converted the points into flights which had an equivalent value of £13500.

This year we already have enough points to convert to flights of that value or higher and it is only August.

OK, I know that Tesco gather lots of 'useful' data about our shopping habits, but I'm not really bothered that they know that we use just about every bonus points offer going, buy quite a bit of wine, buy ~£10,000 of diesel per year, several dongles, a couple of laptops and an average amount of groceries.

As for the 'Tesco Bashers', you are free to shop where you like. Even in the few towns that allegedly have a 'Tescopoly', there are lots of other places to buy your groceries. Stop whinging.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For my personal shopping I find Asda to be cheaper, so I wonder if I put that saving frm every shop in a jar and compped it to clubcard points over the same time which would be the greater amount?
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I could go on for hours about Tesco and other supermarkets but won't.

I just have to say though that Martin sings the praises of Tesco and it's marketing of 'double-points' but has he done a full price comparison on Tesco product prices pre/at the start of the promotion to its prices now? Tesco has become hugely expensive and I'm comparing it to Sainsbury which has in the last month or so been consistently cheaper for my shopping. This amazes me as this is a complete reversal of the comparison over many years. (And yes I know Asda are even cheaper but I can't bring myself to shop at WalMart.)

Just a thought,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • zorber
    zorber Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The double points is just an excuse to devalue it rewards scheme like it has started to do.

It claims as we are getting double the points it now needs to reduce the amount of rewards we get (as pointed out in another post earlier) but we are still better off it claims.
    This is of course until the double points reverts back to single points and they will have sucessfully devalued the scheme.
    "Save the cheerleader - Save the world"
  • fredbear5150
    Options
    We shop in Tesco's because it is quick & convenient but I am going to be looking more closely at how I can find more time to shop better.

Go back 30 or so years and we can remember our parents paying proportionately more for food because they shopped locally in green-grocers, butchers, etc. As a result, food was much more appreciated & less was wasted.

I believe recycling & burning less carbon fuels is a good thing but other than that I'm not particularly a green person & consider the whole man-made Global Warming issue to be a scam by huge evil corporations to stop Third-World development, keep imports cheap & their profits high.

However, I do believe the secret to economic recovery in Britain is an acceptance that we have to be prepared to pay more for locally produced goods & foodstuffs which will create more jobs here & counterbalance some of the effects of out-sourcing.

Therefore, we need to be less materialistic & spend more on food by local growers & producers, and less in the profiteering supermarkets.
  • bogwart
    bogwart Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Martin hits the nail on the head when it comes to the brilliance of the 'immediacy' ploy. When Green Shield were making people develop furry tongues licking their stamps retailers started doubling, then trebling ... eventually people got fed up with them and out went Green Shield.

I spent my working life in marketing, although mainly business-to-business, and it's mainly Tesco's brilliant marketing under Ian MacLaurin that has made Tesco the fourth biggest retailer in the world by revenue, and the second biggest by profits.

I dislike them because of the way they treat their staff and, increasingly, their customers. But in terms of consumer marketing they are way ahead of everyone else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure