🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Partners and savings

Options

Comments

• andyandflo
    Options
    sp1987 wrote: »
    I've had to live using what savings I've had recently, quite happy I have been to do so too.

I'm 22 and now those same savings won't be able to be used to buy a house, I'll have to wait until I'm qualified and start my job and save some more.

If owning property was a human right we would be given one. It isn't. Same as inheriting a property, I may well do. Or my mum may give her house to the cats home. Not my right.

I honestly don't see the issue? Money is provided to stop people starving to death/freezing to death. It shouldn't allow people to keep extra money which would help them be better off than someone else.

Stating you would be proud of your child committing fraud too? I'm happy I got a lucky draw with my parents or I might have been very confused about now. I'm thankful to whoever gave me parents who reside on planet earth,

So presumably you would agree that spending everything as you earn it is the way forward? Then when you need help, where do you go - DWP - 'Please Sir, can I have some more? said the spendthrift'

I never said anything about fraud! What I did say was that I would be proud if he was my son, that he had the sense not to spend what he earned but put it away for something worthwhile - a home maybe for his future wife? Not to help out those that are selfish and not capable of saving but still want the State to help them out.
    Geee what's that teaching the lad?
  • Arg
    Arg Posts: 931 Forumite
    Options
    sp1987 wrote: »
    One could raise the point that he has been permitted to amass such savings by living cheaply with her family.

So really her parents have made him some money. Now he can't be doing with even repaying that notional portion. That is considering things on a purely 'economic' level, no emotion involved.

So what you're suggesting is that he backpays her parents all the rent and expenses for the time he was staying there.Why that is a brilliant idea.
    I guess it means she won't have to claim benefits and housing for herself.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    andyandflo wrote: »
    Not to help out those that are selfish and not capable of saving but still want the State to help them out.

But it's not selfsh to have 30k in the bank and wat more from the govrnment?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • andyandflo
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    This country is in debt. Benefits are given to those who need it. Someone with £30k in the bank doesn't "need" any help from the government.

He probably has £30k more than most people in this country.

Why not, what makes it right that those who choose not to save but spend every last penny that comes in should get a State handout and the sensible ones like the OP who has gone without in order to save doesn't.?

Something wrong there - and that is teaching our future generation to be good citizens? Spend Spend, because the State will always provide when you need it!!!

Rubbish, £30,000 is not a lot of money! Where I live they did a survey recently of the 387 houses in the village, and found that 65% of them had no mortgage. With an average value of £300,000 per property that equates to £75,600,000 of equity between 252 homes and I live in a small village!

Apart from that, I know of very few people that do not have at least that amount invested somewhere. I have no idea where you are living but round here it is pretty average.
  • andyandflo
    Options
    Lady_gaga wrote: »
    No I haven't got the wrong end of the stick, they have the means to support themselves as a couple so they should do just that!
    He must be making his girlfriend feel awful if this is the way he's going on in front of her.
    If he feels so damn hard done by then perhaps he should live by himself and let his GF stay at home with people who don't mind giving her a bit of support until she's working.
    How the hell can you expect the state to hand out to people with more than 30k in savings?!?
    He didn't mind paying peanuts in rent whilst living with the in laws but when it comes to him being supportive he comes over all hard done by!! he's got a hard neck....

No quite simply he sees it as unfair that others blew their money and he didn't. He saved and did without whilst others enjoyed spending theirs.

His GF is as probably as upset as he is thinking that she will lose the chance of owning her first home.

As I said before the limit on savings should be increased to say £30,000 and anything over that £1 per £250 reduction in benefit.

How do you condone thinking it right that those that are frivolous with their money should get State help then? Should they not be penalised for NOT saving?
  • andyandflo
    andyandflo Posts: 791 Forumite
    edited 22 August 2010 at 11:17PM
    Options
    Are you sure you've had a responsible, professional job?

You seem to do nothing except encourage people to fiddle and defraud the system!

Yes to that question - I did. I learned a lot, studied a lot and spent a working lifetime advising people how to legally get round the law without breaking it. It did of course help to have previously worked in many government departments before 'jumping over the fence'.

I have advised couples to divorce for financial reasons as well as get married to avoid hefty Inheritance Tax debts.

There is always a way round everything, the hardest bit is finding the route.

Evasion is illegal, avoidance is not! And that is how I earned my money!!
  • andyandflo
    Options
    Yes it has. It's helped him to be independent and responsible for the person he says he loves. What more could anyone ask for?

Don't be so sarcastic! Or is it sour grapes?
  • andyandflo
    Options
    Arg wrote: »
    So what you're suggesting is that he backpays her parents all the rent and expenses for the time he was staying there.Why that is a brilliant idea.
    I guess it means she won't have to claim benefits and housing for herself.

Did you not have a mum or dad that helped out in order that they could save up for their own home?

Mine did, and I did it for my two daughters & their partners - it's called being a family and helping when they need it most.
  • andyandflo
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    But it's not selfsh to have 30k in the bank and wat more from the govrnment?

Nope - its called giving credit where credit is due to a sensible young couple.
  • sp1987
    sp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    Options
    andyandflo wrote: »
    So presumably you would agree that spending everything as you earn it is the way forward? Then when you need help, where do you go - DWP - 'Please Sir, can I have some more? said the spendthrift'

I never said anything about fraud! What I did say was that I would be proud if he was my son, that he had the sense not to spend what he earned but put it away for something worthwhile - a home maybe for his future wife? Not to help out those that are selfish and not capable of saving but still want the State to help them out.

I feel for your son.

'Presumably' not, if you bothered to read my above post you would see that. If I thought money should go out as soon as it comes in I would never have had any savings, would I?!

Why is it admirable to save for a home for his future wife? Is she (or the potential she) the sort of imbecile who cannot fund her own home? I certainly wouldn't expect my 'future husband' to fund anything for me. We aren't pre 1837 now. I can own property and have my own bank account and everything. If I can manage to find my own way to a polling station I can vote too.

Seemingly your grasp on reading is as poor as your grasp on fraud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport