🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Partners and savings

Options

Comments

• Lady_gaga
    Lady_gaga Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    Options
    she is entitled to help...

help from the person she's living with as he has the means to support her, if supporting your partner in her hour of need appals you so much, perhaps SHE should rethink wether or not she want to be with somone who begrudges helping her out when it's needed...
  • andyandflo
    andyandflo Posts: 791 Forumite
    Options
    Lady_gaga wrote: »
    she is entitled to help...

help from the person she's living with as he has the means to support her, if supporting your partner in her hour of need appals you so much, perhaps SHE should rethink wether or not she want to be with somone who begrudges helping her out when it's needed...

I think you may have hold of the wrong end ot the stick!

I would imagine that the girlfriend is livid about the situation, not that he won't support her, but the fact that they will be losing the chance of buying their own home.

I think the best advice is to stuff the cash in the matteress and say nowt to everybody.

Ridiculous that he has saved up like a responsible person he is to purchase a home for them. And then you tell him he has to help the government out to support his partner with it.

I don't have objections to what he is doing, it is about time that more did the same instead of blowing every damn penny that comes in on holidays, clothes, entertainment, cars etc. And then having the audacity to ask the State to subsidise them as they haven't got a pot to p*ss in!!!! You should tell them - no savings? don't come knocking on our door for handouts, you had the chance but blew it!!!

What is wrong with you people are you that petty minded to deny a young couple the chance of buying their first home together?

Hey if he was my son I would be so proud for being so responsible.
  • sp1987
    sp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    Options
    andyandflo wrote: »

I would imagine that the girlfriend is livid about the situation, not that he won't support her, but the fact that they will be losing the chance of buying their own home.

I think the best advice is to stuff the cash in the matteress and say nowt to everybody.

Ridiculous that he has saved up like a responsible person he is to purchase a home for them. And then you tell him he has to help the government out to support his partner with it.

I don't have objections to what he is doing, it is about time that more did the same instead of blowing every damn penny that comes in on holidays, clothes, entertainment, cars etc. And then having the audacity to ask the State to subsidise them as they haven't got a pot to p*ss in!!!! You should tell them - no savings? don't come knocking on our door for handouts, you had the chance but blew it!!!

What is wrong with you people are you that petty minded to deny a young couple the chance of buying their first home together?

I've had to live using what savings I've had recently, quite happy I have been to do so too.

I'm 22 and now those same savings won't be able to be used to buy a house, I'll have to wait until I'm qualified and start my job and save some more.

If owning property was a human right we would be given one. It isn't. Same as inheriting a property, I may well do. Or my mum may give her house to the cats home. Not my right.

I honestly don't see the issue? Money is provided to stop people starving to death/freezing to death. It shouldn't allow people to keep extra money which would help them be better off than someone else.

Stating you would be proud of your child committing fraud too? I'm happy I got a lucky draw with my parents or I might have been very confused about now. I'm thankful to whoever gave me parents who reside on planet earth,
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Which they may be treated as still having. "Deprivation of capital", anyon?

This country is in debt. Benefits are given to hose who need it. Someone with £30k in the bank doesn't "need" any help from the government.

He probably has £30k more than most people in this country.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All those who don't support OP, is it better to become a drug user and claiming sick benefit from gov and get paid for housing too? It's sad to say, saving hasn't helped the OP.
  • Lady_gaga
    Lady_gaga Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    Options

No I haven't got the wrong end of the stick, they have the means to support themselves as a couple so they should do just that!
    He must be making his girlfriend feel awful if this is the way he's going on in front of her.
    If he feels so damn hard done by then perhaps he should live by himself and let his GF stay at home with people who don't mind giving her a bit of support until she's working.
    How the hell can you expect the state to hand out to people with more than 30k in savings?!?
    He didn't mind paying peanuts in rent whilst living with the in laws but when it comes to him being supportive he comes over all hard done by!! he's got a hard neck....
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options

Are you sure you've had a responsible, professional job?

You seem to do nothing except encourage people to fiddle and defraud the system!
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    tazwhoever wrote: »
    All those who don't support OP, is it better to become a drug user and claiming sick benefit from gov and get paid for housing too? It's sad to say, saving hasn't helped the OP.

Yes it has. It's helped him to be independent and responsible for the person he says he loves. What more could anyone ask for?
  • sp1987
    sp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    Options
    Yes it has. It's helped him to be independent and responsible for the person he says he loves. What more could anyone ask for?

One could raise the point that he has been permitted to amass such savings by living cheaply with her family.

So really her parents have made him some money. Now he can't be doing with even repaying that notional portion. That is considering things on a purely 'economic' level, no emotion involved.

Gosh, what a bloody romantic. I've got a few single friends if Mr Darcy here has a brother? Lol.
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    We get this time and time again. I just cannot understand why couples seem to think that they should be treated as individuals as far as benefits are concerned just because they have separate bank accounts.

I thought the whole idea of being a couple was to share things and help each other out when times are tough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport