Car or small MPV to fit 3 baby seats in a row?

Options

Comments

• brummiebabe
    Options
    A Nissan Almera Tino is an MPV that can fit 3 car seats in the back - I like ours as it doesn't look like an obvious MPV & drives like a car (rather than a van - my experience of the Picasso!!):rolleyes:
    20p Saver Club #33 60p/£100
    Christmas Saving £0/£1300

Saving Target 2014 £25/£1000
  • squibbs25
    squibbs25 Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know my sister can get 3 booster seats together comfortably and safely in the back of her scenic. It also has a diagonal belt in the middle not just a lap-belt.

Do you have a car show room near by that you can go to and actually try the car seats sise by side (obviously without occupants! LOL)

Good luck with picking the right car and your impending new arrivals.

Squibbs
    My beloved dog Molly
    27/05/1997-01/04/2008
    RIP my wonderful stepdad - miss you loads
    :Axxxxxxxxx:A
    our new editions
    Senna :male: and Dali :female: both JRT
  • I have a Ford Focus, and I have managed to get three car seats in the back no problem
    Wha's like us - damn few, an' they're a' deid
    :footie:

Competition wins:-
    July - Magic mince cookbook (first win)
  • emmaBZ
    emmaBZ Posts: 760 Forumite
    Options
    i know you said a small MPV but id recomend a CHRYSLER VOYAGER amazing spacious, 7 seater, interchangable seats, we got a 2002 model a few months ago cost 10.5k bargain seeing as they can go for up to 13k 2002 models.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Sazere
    Sazere Posts: 789 Forumite
    Options
    We had a VW Passat saloon and could just fit 3 car seats accross the back 2 highback boosters with integral harnesses and 1 infant seat but it was a tight fit (however 2 infant seats and 1 booster may fit easier).

Discovered expecting number 4 so we have bought a Ford Galaxy. I wanted a VW Touran or Vauxhall Zafira as felt these were smaller/more car like but we found on test driving them the back seats were awkward to access to reach in to strap kids into booster seats and certainly not ideal if ever wanted to utilise them for adults plus lack of boot space once the seats were down were a consideration with a double pushchair (or two strollers).

The galaxy is fantastic, loads of space for everyone, plenty of boot space even with back seats folded down or if they are not in use can fold the back seats and tip them forward which gives you a huge boot. All three middle seats are full size and have 3 point belts so can all be used for car seats. In fact our Galaxy (2004) came with integral child seats as standard on the outsides of the middle row (booster with 5 point harness or can just use adult belt with booster for over 4yrs). So no more worrying about removing the car seats once the kids are at nursery or wherever to transport adult friends/family etc, just fold the child away inside the adult seat - fabulous!

Definately, definately spend a couple of weekends trawling around the car supermarkets/dealerships having a look inside all the different MPV's and mini MPV's suggested on here, don't be afraid to measure the seats and try the car seats accross the back if possible!

Look at some of the car seat manufacturers websites such as http://www.maxi-cosi.com/ or http://www.britax.co.uk//FitFinder/GB/FitFinder.php as they show you if their car seats will fit in different vehicles and where in the car the seat would have to be positioned!
  • jen30_2
    Options
    I can get 3 car seats in the back of my 3 door fiat punto, my mum can get them in the back of her Mondeo. The best on is my DH's renault Espace as it has seperate seats. I know it's not small but it's the easiest to get them in and out of and we can take 2 Nana's out with us for the day.
    Keep Calm:cool: Smile :D , Enjoy!:dance:

Lightbulb moment 03.08.06

:eek: Debt Free by January 2010:eek:
  • alice's_mum
    Options
    i *think* a berlingo fits 3 seats in the back and has sliding doors too

not very nice to look at but you cant have everything lol

Definately get three in the back of a berlingo, and no problem with reaching child in middle, due to the height of the roof space, I'm 5.11" and can get to the middle seat without hardly bending at all.

And I have to say I think my car looks very nice, especially when I'm inside it and have a clear view of the road ahead over all the small cars, and have a boot full of camping stuff and yet can get up hills in the Lakedistrict without any problems.

And as for its fuel useage, liverpool to Dover, Calais to Loire on one tank of diesel £43. BARGAIN.
  • Moneyfornothing_2
    Options
    I'd have to agree on the Renault Megane Scenic, 3 seats will fit easily and enough room for all the 'extras' you need to take with kids!
  • BernadetteN
    Options
    A large MPV (such as Chrysler Voyager or Ford Galaxy) for a family of 5? Well you might get a good price for a second hand one, but think of the extra insurance cost, fuel cost, tax cost, servicing cost....and the effect on the environment too ... I think the suggestions of Renault Scenic, Citroen Picasso, Nissan Tino, Renault Kangoo, Citroen Berlingo, Peugeot Partner, Fiat Doblo, VW Passat estate, they are all great vehicles for a family of 5 with plenty of space, cheaper running costs, cheaper to buy than large MPVs. You can get many of these vehicles new for around 10k or just a few years old for around 6-7k.
  • filigree_2
    Options
    I know nothing about cars, but has anyone mentioned the Twins and Multiple Births Association to you? Here's the link:

http://www.tamba.org.uk/

I don't know if they can help with the car question but they could be useful to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure