Car or small MPV to fit 3 baby seats in a row?

Options
We have twins on the way who will be joining our 2 year old. For this reason we need to look to change our current car which will prove too small.

We are looking for a car or SMALL MPV that will allow us to put the 3 child seats in a row.

We first looked at the Vauxhall Zafira, but these and other MPV's only have enough room to get two car seats behind the driver (leaving a gap too small in the middle for another car seat, so the other car seat has to go on the very rear car seats (almost in the boot) which we do not feel is safe.

So far the only SMALLl MPV we have found that can get 3 baby seats in a row is the Citroen Picasso, we don't want a big MPV, or is there anything else?

Comments

• Grumpysally
    Options
    What about the bugeyed multipla?
    I think they have three proper seats in the back and they seem very wide.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have an old Volvo 850 which has a great thing in the back, built in booster seat, the middle seat folds in 2 to make it. That means can put 2 baby seats in either side aswell.

Would go for something with 3 x 3 point belts in the back, like the Picasso.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i *think* a berlingo fits 3 seats in the back and has sliding doors too

not very nice to look at but you cant have everything lol
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    if you dont like the picasso ,what about the Renault scenic ( old shape) similar in style to the picasso but nicer inside
  • fsdss
    fsdss Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have a vw touran, plenty of room in the back for 3 seats aside each other. i've had 5 children in the back ( 2 in baby seats and 3 in boosters) with no probs. the only comment i could make is that with a full load of seats being taken, theres virtually no room left for prams etc.

touran safety is 1st class,fuel economy is excellent and car is slightly larger than a golf.
    Give blood - its free
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    We have a Seat Alhambra (for two of us!), I know thgis is a large MPV, but there is loads of room and it's really economical and comfortable.

The VW Sharan is exactly the same (but usually more epensive), and the Ford Galaxy is similar.-
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • janeawej
    Options
    i love my renault kangoo estate! fits 3 seats in the back sliding doors, cheap to run and insure quite nippy! best car i have ever had easily fits me 14yr old, `13 yr old, 10yr old, 8 yr old 1 labrador 2 terriers and a wheelchair in the boot!!!! they are cheaper than proper mpv too
    Member 1145 Sealed Pot Challenge No4 ;)
    NSD challenge not to spend anything till 2011!:rotfl:
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    Have never need 3 baby car seats but what springs to my mind is how would you reach the middle child if you have to get past a car seat?

Sorry if you've already thought of that !
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • fsdss
    fsdss Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have never need 3 baby car seats but what springs to my mind is how would you reach the middle child if you have to get past a car seat?

Sorry if you've already thought of that !

easy with the touran as the seating plan is flexible, meaning you can set your seating position in a way that suits you leaving you with a choice of seating plan and storage for prams etc
    Give blood - its free
  • BernadetteN
    Options
    WE have a Touran too but it's a compact 7 seater so it's quite large for 5 people. We have 3 car seats in the middle row and I can climb in front of all the seats and fasten the harnesses - handy when you can access from the pavement side of the car only.

We bought ours in March 2005 from an internet car broker - cost 11.5k instead of 15.5k brand new. We have a 90bhp 1.9D S (base model) but it has loads of safety features as standard with numerous air bags and ESP as standard, and also the highest NCAP 5* passenger rating and the highest NCAP pedestrian rating in its class too. It does an average 60 mpg. It needs servicing only every 2 years. It costs us only £300 a year (fully comp and legal protection) to insure too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure