IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

MSE News: Wheel clamping to be banned on private land

Options

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you point us in the direction of all these political parties pledges to "sort the problems out".
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Options
    Can you point us in the direction of all these political parties pledges to "sort the problems out".

Indeed, it appears not to be that high on the current list of priorities of many MSPs.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    bigturnip wrote: »
    People keep saying this, but it's completely absurd to think they are coping. Political parties in Scotland even campaign to sort out the parking problems in some Scottish Towns and cities.

Are these "problems" caused by unauthorised parking on private land, or by the lack of public parking spaces?
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • bromsgrovebarry
    Options
    So you still haven't given me a satisfactory answer have you. In fact you have given me no answer to my question at all.

give yourself 2 MSE points

and give yourself a life
    Still waiting for Parking Eye to send the court summons! Make my day!
  • TheBogsDollocks
    Options
    bigturnip wrote: »
    I have no objection to a ban on clamping if a suitable alternative is made available for landowners to regulate parking on their land.

Unfortunately BT, Govt will not focus on what your objections are but will pay more attention to what the majority of voters want.

Yes democracy takes note of minority sensibilities but it would be a pointless democracy if minorities were given what they wanted ahead of the majority view.

You need to relax, wait and see what materialises first and then be vociferous if small businesses are left powerless. Nothing yet is concrete and as I keep repeating, it is unlikely that a middle ground is not found.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just noticed that anti-clamping Home Office minister Lynne Featherstone hasn't got a clue as to whether PPC tickets are enforceable or not! Or am I reading her blog wrong?

I think she needs some reasoned, polite replies to put her right so the Government don't do something stupid in the Freedom Bill about ticketing:

http://www.lynnefeatherstone.org/2010/08/wheel-clamping-continued.htm

What IS she on about here?

But what to do about the owners of private land? Of course – there has to be something to take the place of wheel clamping – some deterrent to prohibit people from parking on private property. Landowners have an absolute right to protect their land from people parking on it. So – in Scotland private landowners either protected that land by a barrier method or switched to ticketing.
    Ticketing is highly regulated and consumer protection legislation already applies. There is already an independent appeals process in place – and it is a good and proportionate deterrent.

:eek:
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 15 October 2010 at 11:34PM
    Options
    Just doing a general browse of Transport Extra and found this that made me chuckle:

The impending ban on wheel clamping will be on the agenda of the next meeting of the Vehicle Immobiliser Network, which is being held in London on 18 October.

I bet it will!!!:D:T

I notice neither they nor the SIA are saying where it's to be held this time, just 'London':

http://www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk/Pages/about-news.aspx?newsID=236

What a shame it's under wraps - I would love to go along on Monday and just gloat. :D

But also it would be useful to see what 'progress' they think they're making with the Gov't before the Freedom Bill, and on what basis they think they can turn the ban around...
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Just noticed that anti-clamping Home Office minister Lynne Featherstone hasn't got a clue as to whether PPC tickets are enforceable or not! Or am I reading her blog wrong?

I think she needs some reasoned, polite replies to put her right so the Government don't do something stupid in the Freedom Bill about ticketing:

http://www.lynnefeatherstone.org/2010/08/wheel-clamping-continued.htm

What IS she on about here?

But what to do about the owners of private land? Of course – there has to be something to take the place of wheel clamping – some deterrent to prohibit people from parking on private property. Landowners have an absolute right to protect their land from people parking on it. So – in Scotland private landowners either protected that land by a barrier method or switched to ticketing.
    Ticketing is highly regulated and consumer protection legislation already applies. There is already an independent appeals process in place – and it is a good and proportionate deterrent.

:eek:
    She obviously thinks there is enough legislation in private parking. Don't lets disabuse her, it will just make it a bit more difficult for us. Ignore is a very simple option, to have an appeals process could ensure the driver is admitted and more court cases could follow.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]Email reply from Home Office ;)
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]===
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you for your e-mail of 24 September to Lynne Featherstone about the regulation of vehicle immobilisation. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]As I am sure you will appreciate, the Minister receives a large amount of correspondence and is unable to reply to each item individually. Therefore, your e-mail has been passed to the Direct Communications Unit and I have been asked to respond. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Government included a commitment in its Coalition Agreement to tackle rogue private sector wheel-clampers. Ministers have explored all the options to find the best possible solution to tackling this problem. As a result, Lynne Featherstone announced on 17 August the Government’s intention to ban wheel-clamping and towing away on private land. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Government understands the concerns that you and others have raised, and believe that an absolute ban is the only way to ensure that we tackle the problems caused by rogue clampers. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Primary legislation will be needed to bring this change into force. We plan to introduce this in the Government’s Freedom Bill later this session, and will aim to bring the ban into force as soon as possible once the necessary legislation has been passed. Once in place, anyone who clamps a vehicle or tows it away on private land could face criminal proceedings or civil sanctions.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Yours sincerely,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]D Beaney[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Direct Communications Unit[/FONT]
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • ripped_off_driver
    Options
    taffy I have seen a very recent reply (from the Dept of Transport) that has that spiel almost word for word but also has the following veryinteresting paragraph:

"I should also explain that the ban will work by creating an offence of immobilising or towing away a vehicle without lawful authority, with the intention of preventing or inhibiting the removal of the vehicle by a person entitled to move it. Thus, a landowner who moves the vehicle off his land, would have committed the offence only if he intended to prevent or inhibit the removal of the vehicle but not if he did not have this intention. It would be for the courts to decide whether the offence had been committed in a particular case, based on consideration of all the evidence."

Eh??!! Don't like the sound of that. Having to go to court if some !!!!!! takes your car away or is it the criminal courts theyare referring to. This sounds like a rolling back/BPA type loophole to me. Everybody with an interest in seeing clamping gone for good should get on to Norman Baker and tell him to get on with the ban and allow NO way back for these thieving scum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure