IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

MSE News: Wheel clamping to be banned on private land

Options

Comments

• trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    What is your answer then? Just what do you do with people who park badly with no thought for others?

The ban has been in force in Scotland for 20 years, and they seem to be coping OK there.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • geordieracer
    geordieracer Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    Options
    trisontana wrote: »
    The ban has been in force in Scotland for 20 years, and they seem to be coping OK there.

I wasnt disputing that... Can i have a constructive answer at all..? I dont think i got one to my earlier question in this thread either..

I agree the nasty clampers should be put out of business but...
    one of the famous 5:kiss:
  • bromsgrovebarry
    Options
    I wasnt disputing that... Can i have a constructive answer at all..? I dont think i got one to my earlier question in this thread either..

I agree the nasty clampers should be put out of business but...

And I suppose that leaves the nice ones eh? Geat real!
    Still waiting for Parking Eye to send the court summons! Make my day!
  • TheBogsDollocks
    Options
    We do still live in a democracy and it seems that the majority of the public want rid of clamping. If they did not we would not have MP's advocating the end of clamping since it would not be a vote winner.

No doubt there will be a minority (many will be from the private parking industry) who are unhappy with this but that's life. The Govt will no doubt find a middle ground whereby the parking industry will still have opportunity to make money and landowners will still have means of parking enforcement. Govt will not want to lose too much of the tax income that the private parking industry generates.

Clamping, if not totally banned then it does require regulating to protect the public from those in the industry that are no more than rip off merchants. It can't be right and moral that people who are a few minutes late back to their cars are forced to cough up several hundred pounds in fines when burglars and shoplifters receive a lesser punishment. That's not the kind of country I want to live in. Of course landowners also need protecting from those that atempt to rip them off. However, any penalty must be proportionate rather than extortionate.

A balance can be achieved it's not that difficult. We will have to wait and see but as far as I'm concerned I'm glad Government are at least addressing the problem rather than burying their heads in the sand.
  • geordieracer
    geordieracer Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    Options
    And I suppose that leaves the nice ones eh? Geat real!

So you still haven't given me a satisfactory answer have you. In fact you have given me no answer to my question at all.

give yourself 2 MSE points
    one of the famous 5:kiss:
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Options
    What is your answer then? Just what do you do with people who park badly with no thought for others?

Not sure you can do much with people who park badly, there will always be those that do so.

People park badly on public roads and seem to generally go unpunished so I doubt it will be of major concern to anyone in private car parks.
  • bigturnip
    bigturnip Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    trisontana wrote: »

People keep saying this, but it's completely absurd to think they are coping. Political parties in Scotland even campaign to sort out the parking problems in some Scottish Towns and cities.
    I've given up trying to get my signature to work with the new rules, if nobody knows what the rules are what hope do we have?
  • bigturnip
    Options
    We do still live in a democracy and it seems that the majority of the public want rid of clamping. If they did not we would not have MP's advocating the end of clamping since it would not be a vote winner.

No doubt there will be a minority (many will be from the private parking industry) who are unhappy with this but that's life. The Govt will no doubt find a middle ground whereby the parking industry will still have opportunity to make money and landowners will still have means of parking enforcement. Govt will not want to lose too much of the tax income that the private parking industry generates.

Clamping, if not totally banned then it does require regulating to protect the public from those in the industry that are no more than rip off merchants. It can't be right and moral that people who are a few minutes late back to their cars are forced to cough up several hundred pounds in fines when burglars and shoplifters receive a lesser punishment. That's not the kind of country I want to live in. Of course landowners also need protecting from those that atempt to rip them off. However, any penalty must be proportionate rather than extortionate.

A balance can be achieved it's not that difficult. We will have to wait and see but as far as I'm concerned I'm glad Government are at least addressing the problem rather than burying their heads in the sand.

A democracy is not just about imposing the will of the majority, it is as much about protecting the rights of the minority. I have no objection to a ban on clamping if a suitable alternative is made available for landowners to regulate parking on their land. I also don't dispute there are many many bad practices in the clamping industry, but that is not my concern, my concern is protecting my business.
    I've given up trying to get my signature to work with the new rules, if nobody knows what the rules are what hope do we have?
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Options
    bigturnip wrote: »
    People keep saying this, but it's completely absurd to think they are coping. Political parties in Scotland even campaign to sort out the parking problems in some Scottish Towns and cities.

Er.... we are coping.
  • bigturnip
    Options
    lucylucky wrote: »
    Er.... we are coping.

Some people maybe, but I doubt major political parties would be pledging to sort out parking problems if nobody thought there was a problem in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure