To remind myself how far I've come - my debt diary. - SOA added

Comments

• chocaholic110
    chocaholic110 Posts: 2,509 Forumite
    Just to update for end of September, beginning of October.

Debts now stand at
    Egg Loan £8849.93
    Catalogue £225
    Barclaycard £438
    PO Card £487
    Total: £9999.93

OH

Egg Card £2820

Joint
    A+L loan £5134

New Combined Total : £17,953.93, which while only a smidge under the £18 thou mark feels better than the £19 thou+ of last month.

Have been able to pay some extra off as made about £200 on ebay, £20 from pigsback, £72 from Quidco (well impressed by that!).

Oh, and also got a £100 payrise which was nice, though will only be till Christmas when my temporary promotion comes to an end.

Now have a number of "small" debts (well in comparison to the others!!) such as PO card, catalogue and Barclaycard and desperately want to pay them off to get rid but catalogue and PO card both 0% interest so is really better to pay off everything else first.

Barclaycard will be gone when I get paid on 31st October though and then going to close card down - might not have done but asked them if they could reduce interest rate for a customer of 14 years who has never paid late /missed a payment. They replied saying they thought their rate was very reasonable - 14.9% and 26% for cash advance? I think not! Will keep my Egg card instead and aim to pay off every month.

Now the big news is I'm pregnant! Good news as have been trying since Jan but is going to make debt free day further away as maternity pay where I work is completely rubbish! We are on high alert trying to pay as much as poss off before then!

Unrelatedly I managed to finish my dissertation and hand it in. TBH it's rubbish and I will need to resubmit I imagine but at least (hopefully!) much of the work is done.

Been very good (or very mean!!) with grocery shopping, also have managed to get a few Christmas presents for children at reduced prices by using price comparison sites and checking for vouchers on here...don't think will ever pay full price for anything again!!
  • Seeing as i only had my lightbulb moment yesterday i have taken great inspiration from your posting. I am sure you are experiencing a minor blip and will soon start to see the benefits of your hard work.

I haven't done all of my calculations yet but if i could become debt free in 18 months then i would be over the moon.

Well done!!!
    Total Debt = £23,517.77 5-10-06 :mad:
    Lightbulb Moment 5-10-06 :T

Trying not to panic but it's difficult....:eek:
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Great news on 2 fronts - congratulations!!!!!! Was wondering how you were x
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Well, it seems as soon as I post everything changes.

Been for an early scan today as been having lots of pains and it seems that baby has stopped developing at 5 weeks or so. Either that or I am only 5 weeks pregnant which is highly unlikely.

Have to go back in two weeks for another scan to make sure but apparemtly am not likely to make it that far and things will probably happen "naturally" in the next week or two.

Nothing money saving to report either. I hate the mid month, when you're far away from just having had the thrill of paying bills but not close enough to paying next month's either.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    im really sorry to hear about your scan :(

Sending you a big hug. x
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Snaggles
    Snaggles Posts: 19,503 Forumite
    Oh Chocaholic, that's terrible, I'm so sorry. I don't know what to say, so I am just going to send a big ((hug)), take care of yourself xxx
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
  • crawley_girl
    crawley_girl Posts: 2,010
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    :grouphug: I'm really sorry to hear your bad news re: scan :grouphug:

:heartpuls CG :heartpuls
    Ever wonder about those people who spend £2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward.
  • Just back from a couple of days away at Paris (booked before lightbulb moment, but luckily paid for in cash). Set a budget for spends while we were there and came back with 50 euros!

Came back to £170 in paypal account and £125 showing as received in Quidco, witha further £86 validated - wahay, must go on holiday more often (no, not really!!). Will be able to use it to pay off final £300 or so on Barclaycard so can use the £400 a month from that to overpay on Egg loan.

Phoned Egg last night to arrange this and the man was very surprised "Have you got a new job to increase your payments so much? No? You're using money from your credit card that's paid off? And when you clear your loan will all your debts be gone? Yes? Wow, I wish I could say that" - I nearly referred him to this site!!

Anyway, they can't take the extra from this month so think will get rid of PO card just to say it's gone - I know it's not the right way to pay debts off but pschologically will feel good to have debts in less places if anyone knows what I mean!

Also, today is the day of my second scan, the last two weeks has lasted forever but at least by lunchtime will know one way or another.
  • Well, am now off work for two weeks after spending the weekend in hspital. Final scan was bad news but having had two weeks to get used to idea don't feel too bad at the moment but am a bit up and down.

At least in two weeks off work can get some things sorted out that don't have time to do normally.

Good news is I finally paid off Barclaycard and looks like PO card will go this month as well.

Loan payments are due to come out in a day or two so will post revised list of how much I owe in a few days. Hopefully will make for much better reading.
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sorry to hear your bad news. (It happened to me too). As I'm sure you've been told many many women have miscarriages, and similar and go on to have healthy full term babies. I hope yours comes along soon.:A

On the DFW side you've done brilliantly well in such a little time towards clearing your debts. I am highly impressed.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure