We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
prang in carpark with exit machine
Comments
-
“I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”
<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/0 -
With a bit of luck your insurance is with Tesco so they will sort of end up payiong for it anyway
.
Tesco Insurance is underwritten by UK Insurance Ltd who run a lot of big schemes. They just pay Mr T a commission and a big wedge for advertising and point of sale material.:pThe man without a signature.0 -
Just my two-penneth worth, if your wife hit my garden wall and damaged it, I would expect your wife/insurance to repair it, the same goes for the exit machine I guess.
However, if it had been me and it had just been a scratch, I would have legged itThrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time0 -
0
-
Why wouldn't you expect your wife's insurance to pay out for it?She hit it and has insurance, that's what its for.Machinery like that can be very expensive, why should the car park owner be out of pocket or claim on their own insurance?Higher overheads just means higher parking charges for everyone who uses that carpark.0
-
mondayding wrote: »Hello, anyone know the legality of this situation?
My wife scraped the ticket machine at the exit barrier of a private carpark, took some paint off our bumper and scratched the glass of the machine. The manager saw it and is getting a quote from the manufacturers for repairs (he said the machine had only been put in the day before). Yes, of course, she is guilty of hitting the thing, but I'm a little stunned that they're expecting her to pay for it. I kind of see it as a customer had an accident in their store - much like if you or I crashed a trolley into some Tesco equipment and scratched it. I wouldn't expect Tesco to demand she pay for repairs.
Don't really know what I'm expecting, just some kind of advice would be nice...
If I came round your house and put your window in, would you say "Don't worry about it mate" or would you quite rightly expect me to pay? Why should she not pay it just because the damage was done to a businesses property?
Legally? She damaged it, she's responsible for compensating the owner.
I wonder at peoples morals sometimes.
And on a personal note, I'd ban her. How the hell you hit one of those machines is beyond me. Sheer incompetence.0 -
mondayding wrote: »Don't really know what I'm expecting, just some kind of advice would be nice...
As already advised, your wife is responsible for paying for the damage she has caused.
She needs to inform her car insurer about this asap.
Then when she gets correspondence about this from the car park she should pass it on to her insurer to deal with.
If she doesn't claim for repairs to her car she won't have any excess to pay, but the incident will affect her NCD (unless it's protected), and a premium loading can be expected at renewal.0 -
split_second wrote: »i dont think they accept liability- i am sure there are disclaimers in the car park that any damage is your own risk
Yes, those signs are completely pointless. If your car is damaged by a tesco employee through their negligence - eg if the trolley boy rams a line of trollies into your car - the company would be liable sign or no sign.
Equally, if your car was to be damaged due to something outside of the companies control they would not be held liable in court even if they didn't have a sign.0 -
Constructive comment; Advise that your wife takes additional driver training.;)0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards