We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
prang in carpark with exit machine
mondayding
Posts: 4 Newbie
in Motoring
Hello, anyone know the legality of this situation?
My wife scraped the ticket machine at the exit barrier of a private carpark, took some paint off our bumper and scratched the glass of the machine. The manager saw it and is getting a quote from the manufacturers for repairs (he said the machine had only been put in the day before). Yes, of course, she is guilty of hitting the thing, but I'm a little stunned that they're expecting her to pay for it. I kind of see it as a customer had an accident in their store - much like if you or I crashed a trolley into some Tesco equipment and scratched it. I wouldn't expect Tesco to demand she pay for repairs.
Don't really know what I'm expecting, just some kind of advice would be nice...
My wife scraped the ticket machine at the exit barrier of a private carpark, took some paint off our bumper and scratched the glass of the machine. The manager saw it and is getting a quote from the manufacturers for repairs (he said the machine had only been put in the day before). Yes, of course, she is guilty of hitting the thing, but I'm a little stunned that they're expecting her to pay for it. I kind of see it as a customer had an accident in their store - much like if you or I crashed a trolley into some Tesco equipment and scratched it. I wouldn't expect Tesco to demand she pay for repairs.
Don't really know what I'm expecting, just some kind of advice would be nice...
0
Comments
-
Your wifes car insurance will pay for it0
-
+1
A bit of a difference in dropping a bottle of sauce in tescos compared to hitting the exit machine with a car0 -
But when a Tesco trolley hits your car, it's your problem. Ihate it when firms want to have their cake, and eat it so to speak.
I'd be inclined to ignore them should they come tapping on your door. Sounds cold, but personally I'd have just driven off.
Regards,
Andy0 -
benham3160 wrote: »But when a Tesco trolley hits your car, it's your problem.
I'd be inclined to ignore them should they come tapping on your door. Sounds cold, but personally I'd have just driven off.
Regards,
Andy
if a tesco employee was steering the trolley at the time, then i would expect tesco to pay for it. Not so if it happened to roll into it. I dont think its their responsibility to ensure all trolleys are returned to the trolley area at all times, just because some fat housewife cant be bothered.
I dont see this as any different than proposing pranging a car in a car park and driving off is acceptable.
Far too many people adapt the 'drive off and hope i dont get caught' attitude these days.0 -
Legally your wife has crashed her car into the carparks equipment and damaged it - that means she is liable for the repairs if the car park owner decides the damage needs repairing, this is entirely their decision.0
-
i dont think they accept liability- i am sure there are disclaimers in the car park that any damage is your own riskif a tesco employee was steering the trolley at the time, then i would expect tesco to pay for it. Not so if it happened to roll into it. I dont think its their responsibility to ensure all trolleys are returned to the trolley area at all times, just because some fat housewife cant be bothered.
I dont see this as any different than proposing pranging a car in a car park and driving off is acceptable.
Far too many people adapt the 'drive off and hope i dont get caught' attitude these days.Who remembers when X Factor was just Roman suncream?0 -
split_second wrote: »i dont think they accept liability- i am sure there are disclaimers in the car park that any damage is your own risk
I would beg to differ. If a tesco employee pushed a trolley into my car they would be liable - thats what their public liability insurance is for.
However, irrespective of that, in the case of the O/P, the O/P will have to pay for the damage, if the car park owners progress it.0 -
this is tesco though dont forget
Who remembers when X Factor was just Roman suncream?0 -
With a bit of luck your insurance is with Tesco so they will sort of end up payiong for it anyway
. 0 -
but this is not tesco, this is a private car park, so it is irelevant really what happens if you drop sauce in tesco, or if a trolley hits your car in their car park
this is a private carpark, privately owned and she hit and damaged the machine, why should she not be liable0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards