to maria or not to maria... xmas question?

Options
long story short, my mum loves the sound of music and has always said 'if its ever in the theatre and i am debt free i want to go'... now she has watched the maria show since day one and i asked her if she would like to see it, her answer 'if my girl got through yes, i dont like the others', yes and you guessed it 'her girl' got through... so i would like to get her tickets to the show for xmas (we would go in feb/march)... the prob is is the price (i can go through a cashback site so if wont be too bad, asked on the offer board :rolleyes: ) but the tickets are going to be £100, for two of us and then we will need accomodation in london, and then she may not take me but her oh... dont get me wrong my mum is worth it but its not very dfw :rolleyes: so can i have your opinions please.... :A

Comments

• Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How skint is your mum? If you got tickets for her and OH could she take care of the rest herself?
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • postingalwaysposting
    Options
    emmzi very, basically she cant do anything, i dont know what feb will look like but not good, put itthis way, i am not giving her housekepping to pay er debt with....
  • moozie_2
    moozie_2 Posts: 3,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey pap :hello:

You are lovely for thinking of your mom. :)

My 2p worth is that you should get it for her and not worry about who she takes. You want her to have a good time and enjoy herself as she's having a tough time and has had a tough time for a while. If you want to get her this present, do it and let her choose freely who she takes. I hope it's you but don't be upset if it isn't. This is about her more than anything.

Good luck with making the right choice, I know you will ;)
    Leason learnt :beer:
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The basic problem is that your mum did not look forward when she committed herself to that last payment (your previous thread). Had she made an agreement that did not stretch herself so much, then perhaps there could have been a bit of flexibility for such occasions.
    On a positive note - have a word with your local travel agent. They may be doing an 'all-in' trip (Theatre + accommadation) deal, which you may be able to pay for by putting a deposit and adding to on a weekly basis to ensure that all is paid for before the trip.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Emmzi
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Even travel-lodging that's £200 for a present when it sounds like she could use the Maria DVD and £180 for debts more...

Personally, I wouldn't. She needs to adjust to a cutback lifestyle and lavish gifts aren't part of that.

However getting her a trip as a reward for, say, 6 month of managing her money properly, would be different. :)

That wouldn't be Christmas though.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree, this is going to be one expensive present hun x
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • postingalwaysposting
    Options
    thanks mozzie, i am not worried who she takes, yes i would like to go but i am not fussed, it will be her descision... the thing that worrys me (i know its selfish) is if she will apreciate it, i mean the amount it will cost can go to my future/my driving/my saving, will that hour or so be worth the amount of work i will have to do to recoup that money.... that prob sounds harsh but do you see where i am getting at :confused:

rog i dont know if they do that around here, but thats why i am asking this question today, all the seats before xmas has already gone, so i need to book asap....
  • Emmzi
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Posting,

just scrolled back through other threads and saw itisnt even her debt she's paying off!!! So maybe a 'reward'isn't appropriate language. But I still think if you have a couple of hundred to spare..she could use the cash more. At my lowest debt point, the £20 mum slipped me for groceries was more use than *anything* else.
  • debsue
    debsue Posts: 467 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I would do it, you only have one mum!
    I went to see Billy Elliot last year and got a really good deal of tickets and accomadation. Look round on the internet, there are bargains out there.
    Best wishes
  • postingalwaysposting
    Options
    sorry i have had an accident i cnat type fast at the mo...

emmzi it wouldnt be so bad because i could save for the accomodation but i am swaying against a no too.... do you think they will bring a recording of it out on dvd?

lynz it will be, this is going to make it sound worse now, but part of me wants to do it to prove mum wrong, my sister is in a good job has a husband who has loads of money so 2 xmas' ago she brought them a holiday abroad, since then i dont think my gifts have been good enough... ok my mum has liked them, used them, kept them, but since then i have always been the one with nothing good enough.. the only otherway i can work it is if i get my brother to go halfs on the tickets and if she takes her oh he can pay for the accomodation? :confused:

*why am i doing this on a sunday morning in the pain i am :rolleyes: *
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport