keeping tropical and cold water fish.

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes,you need to get those fish out asap before he has a mega disaster on his hands.Meanwhile lots of regular water changes is the only way to stop the filter from being overloaded.

Worth ringing every aquatics that sell tropicals and see if they will take some ,if i was local i would certainly have a few.

Also try offering some here

http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=227
  • hampshirebabe
    hampshirebabe Posts: 649 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 May 2011 at 2:49PM
    Options
    Hi again, I've got my free tank from freecycle, so need to get a few more things ready to set it up. It came with Gravel, 2 heaters, a long airstone and a Fluval 2 plus flter, plus the light in the lid. Instead of my normal rush out and buy everything, including a couple of fish way, I'm going to take my time and do it right, starting with a list of things to get, then a fishless cycle, either with amonia or some filter medium if I can pinch some off someone else.
    So what do I need? Should I get new filter pads? Then theres water testing kits and ammonia.
    Many years ago we had fish, but I seem to remember on the bottom of the tank, under the gravel was a plastic layer and the air was pumped down to that so it came up all around the tank. Is that right, maybe just for bigger tanks, or possibly salt water tanks, I think thats mostly what we had.
    Anything else I need to get started?
    Ps, some delorinating stuff
  • Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,i always recommend reading this forum and asking any questions you have,we are a great bunch and very friendly and helpful!

http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 May 2011 at 9:16PM
    Options
    Many years ago we had fish, but I seem to remember on the bottom of the tank, under the gravel was a plastic layer and the air was pumped down to that so it came up all around the tank. Is that right, maybe just for bigger tanks, or possibly salt water tanks, I think thats mostly what we had.
    Anything else I need to get started?
    Ps, some delorinating stuff

I would start off with new set of pads,

The plastic thing your referring too is a under gravel filter. Some still use there but most nowadays use the in tank filter you've already got or and external filter.

You need to be able to test the water quality I recommend the API Master test kit. It comes with all the tests you'll need and will last for ages.

Best place to source ammonia I've heard off is Home base or boots. You need to get as pure as ammonia as you can get.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure