🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Free solar panel discussion

Options

Comments

• barneygumble
    Options
    I have now had acceptance emails from ASG, ISIS and Homesun. All have said someone will be in touch but nothing since.
  • skelly01
    Options
    anyone heard of my energy station? I had made an enquiry with them and they contacted me yesterday. They have took my details and have said a technicain will be in contact with me in the next few days to discuss my free installation.
  • robxxx
    Options
    This is a long thread to search through so maybe this has been looked at before, but I wondered if anyone had mentioned that solar roof tiles are available in this country for those of us not willing to put the extra load on our roofs.
  • Gizmosmum_2
    Options
    robxxx wrote: »
    This is a long thread to search through so maybe this has been looked at before, but I wondered if anyone had mentioned that solar roof tiles are available in this country for those of us not willing to put the extra load on our roofs.

Yes, more expensive, less efficient, longer payback period. They are still the same size as the panels just integrated. Saw some recently and was a bit concerned that they wouldn't have the durability as concrete or slate tiles. I'm no roofing expert though!!
    Target of wind & watertight by Sept 2011 :D
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 23 September 2010 at 5:54PM
    Options
    robxxx wrote: »

Grand Designs last night on Channel 4 had conventional roof tiles on the North side of the build and a rubberised water channel type thing on the
    South, with overlapping glass tiles. New to me.

http://www.aipassivhaus.com/blg-october09.html

http://www.solexenergy.co.uk/

Looks like a better bet than PV panels, if a subsidy available via RHI.
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    Even without Renewable Heat Incentive the installation might make economic sense. How are they utilising the spare heat in the summer?
    I think I need to watch the programme on the interweb before making any more ad-hoc remarks.
    I notice that there is a wood burner with a back boiler for sunless Februarys (home grown wood might be able to supply the heating needs of 1/40th of the British population).

What are the methods for minimising electricity use and/or generating some on site? (A pre FiT planning application?)
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    There are PV panels, John, though not shown in the video clip. And I think underfloor heating probably fed from the glass tile roof and supplemented.

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-tv/grand-designs/
  • Elainemary
    Options
    Hi Hansi. Sorry but I could see that coming from Homesun since they told me my roof was not sunny enough/ too sunny. How can it be both? It's a tiled roof without moss or overhanging trees. Guess they're just snowed under and are too busy to bother to come and actually LOOK at the roof in question
  • Elainemary
    Options
    Elainemary wrote: »
    Hi Hansi. Sorry but I could see that coming from Homesun since they told me my roof was not sunny enough/ too sunny. How can it be both? It's a tiled roof without moss or overhanging trees. Guess they're just snowed under and are too busy to bother to come and actually LOOK at the roof in question
    OK I've just realised they've actually been to see your roof, so my apologies for being an idiot Hansi.
  • barneygumble
    Options
    A shade greener have been the first to get back in touch to make an appointment for next week for the survey. If everything is OK I shall proceed with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport