What does SKY cost per month, or options

Hi
Have only ever had freeview and broadband/telephone through talk talk. So cost is for phone line rental and broadband is around £20 per month.
New property will only pick up a few channels on my tv with built in digital tv then basically crashes.
Wondering to get a new aerial or finally go with sky. Probably basic package but with Discovery channels.

Having looked at sky website totally confused as they offer too many choices and upgrades.

Can somebody give me a rough guide as to how much this would cost? Think i would need to switch telephone to bt and take sky broadband ?

Other options could be to upgrade aerial? Get dish installed for freesat??

Thanks
A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Comments

• moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I think the whole thing is designed to confuse so that when people sign up they don't really know what they will be paying !

I find the "grid" here:
    http://www.skypackages.org.uk/

to be the least confusing.

I have sat TV only from Sky. Line rental, BB and 'phone are all elsewhere.

I have just downgraded to basic package with one "entertainment" (Discovery etc) package plus full Sports and HD (£10 - not shown on table). I made that £46 - so did they surprisingly !

I would suggest you 'phone and ask them what the price would be.
  • Luckyred
    Luckyred Posts: 298 Forumite
    We have Sky + HD and all the channels including Sky Sports. It costs £58 pm.
  • guy999
    guy999 Posts: 325 Forumite
    Thanks will look at website.
    Didnt think it actually cost that much
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
  • lesalanos
    lesalanos Posts: 863 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    just the basics only cost about £20 per month. the extras soon add up £10 for hd etc
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    A TV aerial is a one off cost, Sky charges are ongoing.

Buy a decent TV aerial.;)
  • WASHER
    WASHER Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Sky have a min contract of 12 months too, so you are stuck with it if you don't like it. We had Sky +, basic package for 12 month costing £20 per month, couldn't justify it, loads of repeats. The only thing I miss having cancelled Sky is the pause button on the + box, but I cannot pay £20 per month for that.

Sky isn't worth it in my opinion, the sky plus box freezes and the slightest bit of wind or rain, not to mention snow and I got no sat signal received, useless.

Get a decent aerial.
  • Luckyred
    Luckyred Posts: 298 Forumite
    We love Sky! OK they do have a lot of repeats but I like the fact that you can pause and rewind live TV and record programmes very easily.
    Not to mention Sky Sports..... OH and I are both football fans so for us its worth paying the extra.
  • morocha
    morocha Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Hi, we have Sky HD + 3 different packages + line rental for £34.

It is quite good, mind you, we never had a phone bill since joining them last April 2009. I do think they are waiting for it to increase... i spend around £1.20 a week calling abroad using cheap number * yeah, i do talk a lot.
    Mejor morir de pie que vivir toda una vida de rodillas.
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Another one off cost option would be to go down the Freesat route
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Luckyred wrote: »
    We love Sky! OK they do have a lot of repeats but I like the fact that you can pause and rewind live TV and record programmes very easily.
    Not to mention Sky Sports..... OH and I are both football fans so for us its worth paying the extra.

Sky Sports-fair enough then. But any PVR system (Freeview or Freesat) can do that just as well if not better-and it doesn't cost £10 a month without a Sky sub.
    Can't understand why so many people still seem to think that Sky+ is the only way to pause/rewind/record TV.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport