Forum Home» Disability Money Matters

Blue Badge 'police' - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Blue Badge 'police'

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
512 replies 38.9K views

Replies

• Pwales wrote: »

If you have a badge, it must only be used for your benefit. If a trip is for someone else and you are a passenger and staying in the car, you cannot use the badge to let them benefit from free parking.

I couldn't get the multi quote thing to work, but I thought the person quoted before this had said that the daughter was shopping for them.
    This is something I experience frequently as I take my mother shopping and find that I come in for lots of criticism especially as frequently I will drop her off near the entrance whilst I park, or she will wait somewhere she can sit down, with some of the shopping while I drive the car back to her. And as someone else said, not all disabilities are visible. Once or twice I have taken my mother back to the car while I got the last item from a different shop and she says she feels really uncomfortable waiting, people just glare as if she has no right to be there.
    There should be more policing of disabled bays, but I do not expect anyone to question someone who has a badge. I would expect someone without a badge to be challenged however, the number of times I have stalked a parking space only to find that it was a young couple :mad: (although admittedly I couldn't see the dashboard so they may have had a badge)
    Debts at LBM - Mortgages £128497 - non mortgage £27497 Debt now £[STRIKE]114150[/STRIKE][STRIKE]109032[/STRIKE] 64300 (mortgage) Credit cards left 0

"The days pass so fast, let's try to make each one better than the last"
  • lynicedlyniced Forumite
    1.9K posts
    I couldn't get the multi quote thing to work, but I thought the person quoted before this had said that the daughter was shopping for them.
    This is something I experience frequently as I take my mother shopping and find that I come in for lots of criticism especially as frequently I will drop her off near the entrance whilst I park, or she will wait somewhere she can sit down, with some of the shopping while I drive the car back to her. And as someone else said, not all disabilities are visible. Once or twice I have taken my mother back to the car while I got the last item from a different shop and she says she feels really uncomfortable waiting, people just glare as if she has no right to be there.
    There should be more policing of disabled bays, but I do not expect anyone to question someone who has a badge. I would expect someone without a badge to be challenged however, the number of times I have stalked a parking space only to find that it was a young couple :mad: (although admittedly I couldn't see the dashboard so they may have had a badge)

The amount of times I've seen people just 'stop' in a disabled spot while their other-half nips into the shops to get a few bits and pieces. It makies me cross, but not as cross as seeing people who quite blatantly mis-use badges by using their relative's (without them being with them) badge to gain free parking. I have heard that councils are getting wise to this and starting to video and document blue badge abusers. They get very hefty fines - quite right too!
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
  • sheeps68sheeps68 Forumite
    658 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Am afraid its an on going problem with assumptions that age = disability or all disabilities are visible. Afraid if you dont fit these and prefereably both categories comments get made. Unfortunately it doesnt seem to have any effect on those who park in those spaces and dont have a badge at all.
    Just had weekend with my parents and Dad wouldn't park in the badge spaces at all. Despite my badge and really struggling to walk as lungs were on strike. He said they should be for elderley and chair users not me. I'm 40 and have lung issues! Namely they dont work!
  • sunnyonesunnyone Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are good and bad at all ages and some of the older generation have been very nicy to me when parked in disabled bays, I ve struggled with opening my car because of the shopping on my knee or Ive dropped my keys and they couldnt have been nicer in the way that they helped me.

But there are the bad ones that believe that blue badge bays are elderly bays even when they see visable disabilities but all ages abuse the bays and something needs to be done about policing private car parks BB bays by changing the law to make it illegal to park in them without a blue badge.

Then we will all be happier and more able to park when we go out.
  • Indie_KidIndie_Kid Forumite
    23.1K posts
    robpw2 wrote: »
    its the ones with kids who seem to think that gives them more right to sit in the disabled seat then the young man who is walking wiht a stick that annoy me .. ok there is a seat free at the back but i need the leg room , still i usully just keep quiet and will go and sit in the free seat , it annoys me even more when there are no seats free and the young couple who have sat in the disabled seat snogging eachother do not bother moving its very much the attitude of im not giving up my seat for anyone .

because of course it's not possible that any of them could have a disability.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    I get it a lot. Especially when I am waiting for the bus and others like to push in front of me as they feel that they need to sit down first. Or look the other way when I am boarding and they have their bag on the seat. I usually just pull out the syringe pump attached to my stomach check it's ok (the pump not the bit attached, it's still attached, not being gross lol) as I'm meant to do every few hours and miraculously a seat appears.....before I had this is was so hard to explain i may be young but I am (sadly) disabled.
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • SingleSueSingleSue Forumite
    11.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lyniced wrote: »
    Yes 'watch out for the lady' is the usual one. Or the kids just stop and stare at you with their red-faced parents saying 'don't stare!' Also have you found that when you are in a wheelchair people don't look down and hence don't see you and turn around and almost fall on top of you. This has happened to me quite a few times. Not sure who'd come off worse - me or them??

Ooopss, I am guilty of saying "Watch out for the lady/man" but in my defence, I say it for wheelchair users, crutch users, stick users and non disabled people when the children are not looking where they are going or in a world of their own.

So it is used for everyone......maybe other parents are the same.
    We made it! Two graduated, 1 currently at university, been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk!
  • Something insulting in my post?

EDIT: You mean when I said 'fogies' and 'crone' I think? Well firstly, a fogy is someone who has old fashioned attitudes and is not related to age at all. Neither is crone, it simply means ugly and is not an 'ageist' word. I mean look at Helen Mirren, she's old (65) and is well fit. Look 'em up in the dictionary if you want, but please tell me you're not comparing those words with '!!!!!!' and 'cripple'.

I disagree - fogies and crones are the same sort of derogatory language for older people as !!!!!! and cripple are for the disabled.
  • SingleSue wrote: »
    Ooopss, I am guilty of saying "Watch out for the lady/man" but in my defence, I say it for wheelchair users, crutch users, stick users and non disabled people when the children are not looking where they are going or in a world of their own.

So it is used for everyone......maybe other parents are the same.

I'm the same sue I say it for everyone as well. As for staring my kids do stare but more out of curiosity than malice. I try to explain as much as possible. Other peoples kids stare at me and it really doesn't bother me and I am happy to explain to them.
    Some of the parents on the other hand:mad:
  • littleratlittlerat Forumite
    1.8K posts
    On the upside, sometimes I wish I had a camera to record all the pitying looks I get when going round a shop in my wheelchair. I reckon it's a 50/50 split between patronising and challenging - there are very, very few people who just accept disabled people as they are. I get so fed up of conspicuous parents who tell their kids to "watch out for that lady", of elderly people who barge into me, of people to whom I am completely invisible. Teenagers are the most understanding group IMO, they might not understand how to hold a door open but at least they try.

I don't want special treatment, I don't want your pity, I just want to be equal to every other person in the shop.

Dad's always said the same, he's often found the "hoody" sterotypical teenagers to be the quickest to open a door for him! My grandpa in a wheelchair found the same too. On that aspect the worst tend to be people sort of around 40 - 60 or so.

Regarding people saying to their kids, annoying as it may be it's probably just because a lot of children can be clumsy and they don't want them to fall on them or something.

Unfortunately Dad's found it's mostly the elderly who are awkward. ONW it's not ageist when a higher proportion do say it. Of course many are fine, and of couse many younger people do challenge it - just not AS many. The terms used are definitely not nice, if not meant in a nasty way though, I agree.

From another side though, understandably Dad sometimes has to go back to the car before someone who's with him, the amount of times people assume the badge is being abused is incredible, when in actual fact Dad just couldn't stand any longer!

On a personal note, I'd not consider myself physically disabled by any means, but I do have a few spacial awareness issues (for that reason my parents often had to tell me to mind people when I was younger!) and lots more balance issues - if on a bus, for me to stand would be dangerous to me - and anybody I may fall on! While some people may be being ignorant, don't forget those people may actually have a genuine reason for not standing :) Of course, most won't have, unfortunately there's no way to tell. Shame you can't trust people to be honest though :(
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support