Blue Badge 'police' - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

Blue Badge 'police'

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
512 replies 38.9K views

Replies

• ash4becksash4becks Forumite
    589 posts
    Anybody notice a strongly ageist tone developing here? Is this any better than being prejudiced against disabled people?

the young have been educated to be more accepting simple as that at school there was a few students with walking issues, bad hearing but i was in mainstream school, unless you want it back to the dark ages were many with disablitys were locked up !!!
  • edited 1 August 2010 at 4:32PM
    OldernotwiserOldernotwiser
    37.4K posts
    edited 1 August 2010 at 4:32PM
    I haven't noticed that. It's mostly old fogies who complain though, like when I sit in the disabled person's seat on the bus there's usually some old crone who has a point and mutter. Not ageist at all.

No, not ageist at all!

Mind you, I expect if people started talking about spastics and cripples you'd be furious!
  • ash4becks wrote: »
    the young have been educated to be more accepting simple as that at school there was a few students with walking issues, bad hearing but i was in mainstream school, unless you want it back to the dark ages were many with disablitys were locked up !!!

I don't see how that's really relevant to my post.
  • edited 1 August 2010 at 5:11PM
    TheBottomLine_2TheBottomLine_2 Forumite
    301 posts
    edited 1 August 2010 at 5:11PM
    No, not ageist at all!

Mind you, I expect if people started talking about spastics and cripples you'd be furious!

Something insulting in my post?

EDIT: You mean when I said 'fogies' and 'crone' I think? Well firstly, a fogy is someone who has old fashioned attitudes and is not related to age at all. Neither is crone, it simply means ugly and is not an 'ageist' word. I mean look at Helen Mirren, she's old (65) and is well fit. Look 'em up in the dictionary if you want, but please tell me you're not comparing those words with '!!!!!!' and 'cripple'.
    Only 3% of those registered blind in the UK have zero vision.
  • CharlieBillyCharlieBilly Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shall we be political correct then

Anybody notice a strongly ageist tone developing here? Is this any better than being prejudiced against disabled people?
  • My experience is that in general, elderly people are less understanding of my disabilities, and more likely to challenge me when I park in a disabled space. I'm not being ageist, just honest about what I have experienced since I became ill.
  • savemoneysavemoney Forumite
    18.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish we did have blue badge police

I get looks to with my disabled daughter and 9/10 they are from older people I just ignore it I dont mind being approached tbh I often see blue badge scheme being abused (car parked with no blue badge). When I go to supermarket nearly always older people who use the spaces I dont dispute they aren't entitled too but maybe the perception by some of them is they naive to think only older people are some disabled
  • lynicedlyniced Forumite
    1.9K posts
    I haven't noticed that. It's mostly old fogies who complain though, like when I sit in the disabled person's seat on the bus there's usually some old crone who has a point and mutter. Not ageist at all.

I had to chuckle - you're really funny, but SO right!
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
  • lynicedlyniced Forumite
    1.9K posts
    savemoney wrote: »
    Wish we did have blue badge police

I get looks to with my disabled daughter and 9/10 they are from older people I just ignore it I dont mind being approached tbh I often see blue badge scheme being abused (car parked with no blue badge). When I go to supermarket nearly always older people who use the spaces I dont dispute they aren't entitled too but maybe the perception by some of them is they naive to think only older people are some disabled

yeah I'd police all the supermarket disabled spaces especially at Christmas.
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
  • robpw2robpw2 Forumite
    14K posts
    its the ones with kids who seem to think that gives them more right to sit in the disabled seat then the young man who is walking wiht a stick that annoy me .. ok there is a seat free at the back but i need the leg room , still i usully just keep quiet and will go and sit in the free seat , it annoys me even more when there are no seats free and the young couple who have sat in the disabled seat snogging eachother do not bother moving its very much the attitude of im not giving up my seat for anyone .

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support