Blue Badge 'police'

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    We've just returned from a holiday in North Wales. My son has Down's syndrome and several other disabilities. He uses a wheelchair and of course, we took it on holiday with us. We were really surprised at how many people stared at him - especially children. As we passed, some people actually turnedd around to keep looking at us. We've never experienced this in our home town, so it was a bit of a surprise. My daughter commented on it, but I just told her to ignore the ignorance that other people have.

Thats really horrible.

My husband has days when he thinks people are staring at him because of his arm and dropped foot. I tell him don't be so stupid it is me they are looking at as I am just so gorgeous :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

He often says he is going to get a t-shirt that says "don't stare I have had a stroke."

It is rude to stare at a person disabled or not.

Hope it did not effect the enjoyment of your holiday.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • lyniced
    lyniced Posts: 1,880 Forumite
    pwales wrote: »
    im 35... spinal cord injury from fall l4 down ive been in a chair for just 3 years ish.... i drive a fully adapted automatic

Wow thats tough - sorry to hear that. I have a genetic condition called Friedreichs Ataxia - a bit like MS. My youngest brother has it too. Its passed on by both parents having a faulty gene (carriers) and its very rare (0.5% of the population are carriers( so my parents were very unlucky. Instead of us looking after them in their old age, they are looking after us.
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
  • lyniced
    Its sad that people feel the need to go on a witch-hunt, because they don't think others should have a badge. My life is hard enough (it truly is) and I would give anything not to be disabled.

I watch people going out for a jog, doing the gardening, washing their car, just going for a walk arm-in-arm -I can't do that. You are so lucky if you can. Cherish the simple things in life.
  • snoopy89
    snoopy89 Posts: 320 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2010 at 11:23PM
    i got stoped buy a traffic warden once, asked me if i was disabled. there were loads of people around, so i pulled up both trouser legs and asked her if she wanted my calipers, hehe. of did same at dublin airport.:j

i feel sorry for ignorant people, its not theire fault they are brain dead.
  • dane-katie
    dane-katie Posts: 961 Forumite
    Sadly i am as subtle as a brick and would have told her where to go, hope your ok though.
    Is a Bipolar bear :p
  • rosysparkle
    rosysparkle Posts: 916 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I get a challenging look or two when I park in blue badge spaces but the haters tend to vanish once my daughter gets my wheelchair out. I wish that people (and I'm sorry but the elderly are the worst here) would be a little slower to judge. I am 46 but look a lot younger, and have been challenged several times when parking in disabled spaces with my blue badge.
  • lyniced
    I get a challenging look or two when I park in blue badge spaces but the haters tend to vanish once my daughter gets my wheelchair out. I wish that people (and I'm sorry but the elderly are the worst here) would be a little slower to judge. I am 46 but look a lot younger, and have been challenged several times when parking in disabled spaces with my blue badge.

Yes, you're absolutely right - the elderly people are the worst, and ironically they are the ones who seem more 'able' if you know what I mean.

I'm sorry if that generalises the older generation, but in my experience that has been the case. Apart from a young guy in a van, who was parked in the only disabled space left, waiting for his mate to get back from the shops. I wound my window down and asked if he was disabled to which he replied 'whats it to you?' I said you have to have a disabled badge to park here. 'I got a bad leg' came his reply. Ok, just leave it go, I said to myself. I hope his conscience was pricked,
  • Francesanne
    Francesanne Posts: 2,081 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    i also am a bb holder, im 30 something with 3 kids, one being a baby, and i have a heart condition. i rarley use my bb, because of that very fact, im to scared to!!
    i have no idea what i would do or say if someone was to challenge me, either cry or explode!! but i really i do not want the stress of it!
    Please use your badge. You have a very valid reason for it's use, don't let fear of ignorant people stop you from using it. They certainly wouldn't have issued with badge if your case wasn't genuine.
  • On the upside, sometimes I wish I had a camera to record all the pitying looks I get when going round a shop in my wheelchair. I reckon it's a 50/50 split between patronising and challenging - there are very, very few people who just accept disabled people as they are. I get so fed up of conspicuous parents who tell their kids to "watch out for that lady", of elderly people who barge into me, of people to whom I am completely invisible. Teenagers are the most understanding group IMO, they might not understand how to hold a door open but at least they try.

I don't want special treatment, I don't want your pity, I just want to be equal to every other person in the shop.
  • i have been shouted at in car parks for parking in disabled as im young, i have had old people wave their badges at me then get out and walk round the shops better than i could on a good day.

i will park further away or in normal parking on the days that i can but the days i cant if i need something then i have to park there. people truelly dont understand how hard it is to have to fight with yourself everyday to keep independance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure