August 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 July 2010 at 1:14AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 73.3K views

Replies

• Ok, doing ok so far..i keep checking as i am not convinced by how we are managing to do ok! Mind you, this month we really have no option! I am rounding up to the nearest pound so we have spent in total so far this month....£80..now OH is on holiday next week so this could make or break!
    I am hoping he can be satisfied with ultra filling dinners and snacky lunches...as there are no crisps in the house.......(he is a crisps fiend!)I realise that alot of our grocery budget goes on crisps etc and it is a bit horrifying when you realise just how much!
    We have been by no means not having treats, the last 2 weekends we have had a desert from M&S something we never normally do as it is silly money, but has worked well as our reward for sticking to meal plan (if we eat to meal plan and keep money back we can go to M&S on friday afternoon and have a treat..roll on Friday!).
    Thanks to whoever mentioned the sponge cakes at c*-*p! They are on offer at the moment and at under 80p great for a teatime treat, and an excuse for picking up some whoopsies while i was there! ;)
    Sausages and mash for tea! :D Keep positive everyone xxx
    August: £149/£150

Sept: £200
  • suzybloosuzybloo Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Hello folks, its turned out a lovely day here. Havent spent anything today, and dont need anything for a change. Popped to my dads at lunchtime and he gave me a carrierbag of rhubarb, so just going to make a lovely crumble and some rhubarb and ginger jam. I will ise up flour that was best before end of july - I think it should be ok????? Will also stew a little for putting on my porridge in the morning. I have only until the 27th to go so things are looking not too bad, although next month is a 5 week month, I go by the Fridays from one pay day to the next so will have 3rd,10th,17th 24th and will count the 1st, because October I am hoping to take a week out of the budget for christmas IYKWIM. hope you are all doing as well as you would like to,

Suzy
    Every days a School day!
  • katholicoskatholicos Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Spent £17.69 on groceries today. Had to nip in to Aldi to fetch Mum a loaf of bread and got one for us while in there, also bought some mints...then got home and ha a browse on AF and placed an order, got 10% off it though so really pleased.

Will update signature shortly!
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • spent £20 this week at mr t shouldn't need anything else but bread and milk. Does anyone know when the next dine in at m and s is? We got loads of vouchers as wedding pressies so planning on treatin ourselves! That's us on target at 48/75 this month :)
  • greentgreent Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    suzybloo wrote: »
    I will ise up flour that was best before end of july - I think it should be ok?????
    Suzy

Definitely ok - I'm using up some (bread) flour that's BBE date is sometime in 2009...:p
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2021 £277.36/£500 Decluttering 2021: 800/1000
  • jayIIjayII Forumite
    40.7K Posts
    Spent £12 ish in Aldi yesterday. I'd forgotten to get a couple of ingredients for the bean casserole, and was so tempted to just buy pizza once I got to the shop, but I resisted, and stuck to my menu plan.

A month ago I would have given in and bought frozen pizzas, plus a lot of unhealthy extras, and blown my budget, so I'm very proud of myself for resisting. :)

Spent £3 in poundland today, on water (forgot to take some with me when I went out :(), batteries, and toiletries. Off to update siggy.
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Fighting the biggest battle of my life. :( Started 30th January 2018.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Milly-Ann-MollyMilly-Ann-Molly Forumite
    519 Posts
    500 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    Got this weeks groceries in mr T for just £6.22!!!! Amazing...I was at the till for ages with coupons etc (much to the tuts of those behind me) The man right behind me nearly choked after he realised my couponeering brought a £85.63 shopping bill down to just £6.22, ha ha ha :j
    Make £/day February: £163.83 / £290
    Quidco £2,643.80 NSD Feb: 5
    2018 Road Kill £0
    Nectar 8.05 Morrisons 15.00
  • edited 18 August 2010 at 8:51AM
    noynoynoynoy Forumite
    380 Posts
    edited 18 August 2010 at 8:51AM
    hello can i join as a late starter and have mine as £380..this is for family of 2 adults and 2 toddlers many thanks

sorry edited to say £380 as theres 5 weekends shopping this month we shop on a sunday many thanks xx
    total debt 4711.00 at lbm (4217.31) dfd aug 2012 :eek: overdraft 800 (400.00) kill overdraft first, loan 1500.00 ,creditcard 2411.00
  • LannyLeeLannyLee Forumite
    184 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Got this weeks groceries in mr T for just £6.22!!!! Amazing...I was at the till for ages with coupons etc (much to the tuts of those behind me) The man right behind me nearly choked after he realised my couponeering brought a £85.63 shopping bill down to just £6.22, ha ha ha :j

How does that work, can you use multiple coupons, & I thought that mt T's stopped you using coupons for things you haven't bought?

Any advice would be appreciated as I see tonnes of coupons but always think that 50p of this or that can't add up, especially as the coupons are usually for brands that are twice as expensive as value items in the 1st place.
  • LannyLee wrote: »
    How does that work, can you use multiple coupons, & I thought that mt T's stopped you using coupons for things you haven't bought?

Any advice would be appreciated as I see tonnes of coupons but always think that 50p of this or that can't add up, especially as the coupons are usually for brands that are twice as expensive as value items in the 1st place.

I'd be very interested too if you would care to share. I had just got into couponning a good few months back when Tescos stopped taking them for products you hadn't bought (although mine only ever took 10% worth anyway) and although I do still read the coupon thread from time to time, I find that the coupons are nearly always on obscure products that I wouldn't even buy anyway!
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals