PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Gravy/sauce to go with gammon

Options

Comments

• Merlot
    Merlot Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    Options
    As the title says, I would like to make a sauce which goes perfectly with gammon, I was thinking on the lines of a leek and cheese sauce, but have no idea how to do it, other recommendations are most appreciated.

Merlot
    "Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does, except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age. But only if the grapes were good in the first place." — Abigail Van Buren
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Merlot,

I would make a cheese sauce and add it to leeks that have been lightly cooked in butter or else just serve the leeks separately.

These older threads might help:

Gravy/sauce to go with gammon

Cooking gammon for tea

Cheese Sauce

Pink
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think I'd fry some sliced leeks then drain off any liquid and stir into cheese sauce. Sound lovely.

Pink winged beat me to it!!
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Could try parsley sauce? (Basic white sauce plus chopped parsley)
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • heavenleigh
    Options
    We always have onion sauce with gammon, (again a basic white sauce but with onions) i would post a recipe but to tell the truth we use colemans!!!!!
    I will save my tesco £1 savings stamps this year! .......so far = £50 (full card#1)
    Card #2 £6. I will not be skint at Chistmas this year!

Total £56
  • Merlot
    Merlot Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I had a look in tesco this morning, and I've bought a packet of onion sauce mix - just to try it with the gammon. I have to admit I am completely useless at making sauces, they are always lumpy, but I will give it another go once I tried the packet one.
    "Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does, except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age. But only if the grapes were good in the first place." — Abigail Van Buren
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I make a mustard sauce - basic white sauce with mustard added.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • beginningtohatexmas
    Options
    Hi,
    as the title suggests - we are I have gammon in the slow cooker as we speak and I normally do cheese sauce to with, but having had cauli cheese for tes last night dont fancy it again and have no idea what other sauces go with gammon.
    any suggestion gratefully recieved
  • angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What about a fried egg or a pineapple ring instead of sauce?
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    I cooked gammon a couple of weeks ago. I cooked it in apple juice, so made gravy from that, and served with apple sauce :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family