We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

easyJet flight cancelled - any ideas? South Wales to North East

Options
:(

Like Carbbit in this his/her thread - I have just received an email from easyJet saying that my flight from Bristol to Newcastle on the 20th August has been cancelled.

I already booked a flight from Newcastle to Cardiff on 22nd August with Flybe (£80!!)

I have never travelled to Newcastle by train from South Wales (I live in Cardiff) as the times were no good or too expensive. I usually either drive up (e.g. xmas) or fly.

There's a later flight but I wouldn't arrive till 22:45 which seems to make the weekend a lot shorter! It is however cheaper - would easyJet refund the difference? Flybe does fly from Cardiff but unfortunately costs £70 inc tax/charges and departs at 13:30 (I would still be at work!).

Also has anybody got a suggestion for good train routes? I have tried different combinations but the journey duration ended up 6-9 hours!

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• jamesbrownontheroad
    Options
    The cheapest / quickest trains I can find are under 6 hours and £50; probably the best you can do.

dep. Cardiff Central 15:45
    arr. Birmingham New Street 17:45 / dep. 18:03
    arr. Newcastle 21:39

(and then pretty much the same times one hour later) £47.50 Advance single, book through East Coast but on the second page be sure to go to to the left hand column and manually select-click all the options under "Show Slower Routes" otherwise you'll miss the best fares.
  • carbbit
    carbbit Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    It's so frustrating isn't it?

I'm not sure that they would refund the difference but if it's the same email that I got; you could log into your EJ and take the full refund option and then book the cheaper flight.
  • newuser78
    newuser78 Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    James - many thanks for your response! £50 is not too bad although I am not able to see this? Cheapest I could find is £116.

Departing Cardiff at 15:55 would mean having to leave work earlier and arriving in Newcastle at 21:39... I guess I might just bite the bullet and get the later easyJet flight which arrives at 22:09.

Carbitt - I know what you mean. I would love to visit my parents for weekends more often but the times doesn't seem workable for me. Train from London to Newcastle... 3.5 hours. Train from Cardiff or Bristol to Newcastle... 5-7 hours.

Cest vie li. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family